Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford2n positive ground

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme duncan
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Ford2n positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I just noticed that on my battery the positive lead is on the negative point and vice versa. Is this a positive ground six volt system or did the guy I bought it from put the wires on backwards ?! Can I charge a positive ground system with a regular trickle charger and do I still put positive to positive ?? The battery seems not to be charging when I'm running the tractor so at first thought alternator but now wondering if the points where the wrong way around .

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ford2n positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is 12 volts with an alternator then it should be negative to ground. If the alternator is not charging, take it to an autoparts place and have it checked out.

rvirgil_KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ford2n positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The output of a battery charger knows nothing and cares nothing about "ground". The charger has a Red POSITIVE cable and a Black NEGATIVE cable.

To connect charger (or jumper cables) to battery, the simple rule is Positive to Positive, Negative to Negative, forget about "ground".

The charger does not see a battery post to frame connection as "ground" but rather as an extension of the connected positive or negative battery post

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ford2n positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Originally 6V positive ground.
If you still have a 6V battery, it most likely is positive ground.
In that case, it would be rare that is has an alternator.
It would have a generator instead.
They are truly different animals, so let us know what you have.
As for charging, positive to positive, negative to negative.
No need to remove any cables.
However, make sure you're using a 6V charger if you have a 6V battery!
Post some pics if you want and we can help identify it.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ford2n positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've replied to your previous posts regarding fuel & starting issues. I've attached a link to the 75 Tips to both of my replies.

I'll attach the link again regarding this question; see tip # 60.

Are the links not working for you?
75 Tips

Graeme duncan
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ford2n positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes , got it , thanks!

raven1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford2n positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Know an alternator shop that makes 6 volt one wire output alternators, either positive or negative ground by replacing the parts in a 12 volt alternator. Most of the customers are the roadster crowd.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.