Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 318

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: JD 318 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Deere with Onan 18 HP Engine. Any suggestions to keep it from surging. The Onan seems to have that tendency to surge. Seems worse when warmed up. Thank You for any and all suggestions. Joe

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: JD 318 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The most common cause for this mod eng to surge is intake manifold leaking/sucking air at split in same,idle passages in carb plugged/restricted due to dirt or high/low speed needles mis-adjusted.

Check that manifold tight on block & gaskets good,if mounting ok,clean off intake manifold & carefully inspect for loose/broken rivets that hold manifold together & also check for hairline cracks in castings,if no loose/broken rivets or hairline cracks found in manifold,get a spray can of carb cleaner with plastic ext tube.

With eng running at slightly above idle & with ext tube installed in spray can nozzle slowly spray all the way around manifold where halfs joint,if eng speed changes while doing this either one/more rivets loose or gasket bad at joint.If you can pinpoint air leak & it's a small area try sealing same with red rtv sealer,if manifold leaking in several spots,either replace manifold OR drill out rivets & seperate manifold halfs,clean out joint & pack with red rtv sealer,reassemble manifold useing screws,lockwashers & nuts.IF no bad rivets/ air leaks found in manifold consider removing/disassembling carb & cleaning out/blowing out all passages in carb body & possibly rebuilding carb at same time.

Other possible causes of surgeing,problem in fuel delivery system(weak pump,plugged/restricted filter,bad fuel lines between tank/carb,dirt in tank plugging outlet,plugged vent hole in tank cap or cap bad)problem in ign system(coil may be going bad & dropping 1 cyl)internal eng wear or mech problem(worn cyl/rings,sticking valves/worn valve guides,leaking head gasket(s),hairline cracks in block/heads.

Jonak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: JD 318 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You Joe. That is a Very Good descriptive answer to the problem. I appreciate it, Thanks again. Joe

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: JD 318 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have no idea how the governor is set up on your Onan-- I had a surging problem with an old engine and noticed the spring between the governor and carburator arm had different notches to adjust the spring tension. Moving where the spring was hooked up (changing the tension) helped mine.

JT Britt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: JD 318 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check the welch plug at the base of the carburetor and if it is present seal it up with some of your womans finger nail polish,it will work buddy i promise.lol

Jonak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: JD 318 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the Great suggestions, Now to get to it!! Thanks again, It is appreciated:>))

Lee Richards
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: JD 318 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a JD318 and all of the items mentioned I checked before I opened up the carb. and found dirt and water in the bottom of the carburater[not sure of the spelling] I cleaned it out and reassembled the carb. and it ran fine, no adjustments or even parts purchased. so I did purchase a new in line fuel filter and have been useing this tractor for two years no problems.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.