Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 961 power steering question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Gumbert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Recently, I replaced the power steering lines and while doing that I tried to get all of the old oil out of the system by jacking up the (wide) front and turning the steering wheel from lock to lock with the lines removed and the engine not running. I also loosened the belt and turned the pump by hand to get the oil out of it.
After putting the system back together and putting new oil in, I ran the engine with the new oil and lines and turned the steering back and forth and all seems OK but when I stopped the engine and removed the pump reservoir cover the oil looked foamy like this-

Eventually, the bubbles went away, I put the cover back on, ran it again, again turning the steering wheel back and forth and although there were still bubbles, it was not as bad.

Question is - Is the foaming normal, would it eventually quit, and what causes it? Pump cavitation? -Will

JohnO in MI
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have a filter in that pump? It will help with foaming issues.

-John

Will Gumbert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John- There is no filter in the reservoir. I
noticed that a while back. I've seen several styles
for sale. I'm not sure which one is correct for
this pump. Any suggestions? Thanks, Will.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should have a filter but that is likely not causing the foaming problem.

The filter is held in place with a spring and hook retainer, which you will also need.

If you are unsure about what filter to buy, get it from your CNH dealer.

Dean

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will Gumbert wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:28:18 06/16/13) John- There is no filter in the reservoir. I
noticed that a while back. I've seen several styles
for sale. I'm not sure which one is correct for
this pump. Any suggestions? Thanks, Will.

Part no. AE33538A $13.78 on this site.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would guess you still have air in the lines which would cause it to foam.
As others have said you should have a filter.
Get one and run it for a while. It should clear up.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its tuff to get the air our once you have it, it should in time clear up. Their are numerous was to get ride of it are to not have it to start off with.

1) Fill the reservoir with fluid to the proper level, with the front wheels lifted are lifted enough so you can turn he steering wheel EZ lock to lock 20 times with the engine off keep a eye on the fluid level.

2) Are as soon as the engine starts turn it off and re-pete till the reservoir stays at the proper level.

3) Are you can pull a vacuum on the reservoir once it stays at the proper level.

4) Are pull the return hose off block the return nipple on the reservoir put the return in a can to catch the fluid,,, keep the reservoir full and have someone start the engine. make sure you do not run the reservoir dry. 1,3,4 its nice to have a helper that can will understand stop, turn off now.

You can also install a inline filter if need be....

You can leave the fill plug out and over the next few days/week turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times engine off to help bleed the air out of the system...

The best prevention is to not induce air from the get go... Once you have it, its hard to get rid of....

Will Gumbert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I
think I will run up to the nearby NH dealer and see
about the filter ($$!) and maybe the spring and clip
if they are available. The filter alone won't do me
much good without the other parts.
Hobo, I'll try what you suggested about getting the air out.
Thanks! -Will

Last edited by Will Gumbert on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnO in MI
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 961 power steering question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The filter can also be purchased from Carquest, part number CFI 85653.

-John

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.