Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Square Head Nuts and Bolts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spudm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on a Farmall Super A rear wheels, whereby the rims bolt (4) to the dish. 2 1/2 x 5/8 square head nuts or bolts are needed to fit into the cradle on the wheel. I cannot find them. Any suggestions? A hex head nut or bolt will not work properly. Thanks!

Oldiron29
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fastenal will get them for you! oldiron29

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Parts catalog calls for 1/2 X 2-1x4" NF square head bolts.

FIAT subs "em to hex head.

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

McMaster-Carr has them also. Around $10 for a package of 5. That is for grade 2; they also list grade 5.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fastenal. Do an internet search. On their web site, drill down into fasteners, Square head, then size.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put hex heads on my Super A, they fit fine. I use the zinc? plated ones and don't paint them.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're not a "purist",you can just grind of a bit on two oppisite corners of the hex head bolt just so it will 'fit' down in the square recess.Done that several times. Steve

Spudm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try Fastenal, then perhaps Grainger since they are local. My local dealership quoted me a price of ten dollars per bolt w/o the nuts.

Jim Paterson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fastenal had them when I was looking for them for my H, but they were the same price the dealer wanted for them - Nine dollars plus change.

caterpillar guy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Alma Bolt in Alma MI can probably get them for you. Or Owosso Bolt &Brass in Owosso MI.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fastenal shows them for $3.62 each. Nuts are $1.07 if you go with the hex nut. Both are grade 5.

Now, if you go with the square head nut, they are $4.50 a piece. No reason for the square nut, you only need the bolt head to be square.

So, if you add it up, $4.69 for each grade 5 square head bolt/heavy hex nut plus a little shipping. Sure as heck ain't $9 a pop.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Last edited by Tom Fleming on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah but it ain't a "little" shipping. They nail you to the wall on shipping.

Shipping isn't cheap anymore. Steiner's charged me $11.62 to ship a manual and a muffler clamp, but I needed the manual and only bought the muffler clamp to make myself feel better because I spent more on merchandise than shipping.

Rumplestiltskin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My local Ace Hardware carries square nuts and square-headed bolts. I'm not sure which sizes, though.

Mark W. in MI

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mkirsch, I agree. Companies mark up the actual shipping to "make ends meet". funny part is, all 4 bolts and nuts will fit into a $5.95 flat rate USPS Priority mail small box.

go figure.

The 300 guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Square Head Nuts and Bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might look here. I have had good service and fair pricing and shipping!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#square-head-specialty-bolts/=n95cl6

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.