Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caterpillar D2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ in the UK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi you crawer guys, just found a D2 wich as been sitting in a barn for over 40 years. The owner has still got the instruction book with the serial number written on the front. The number is 5J5530SP so I hope you lads can tell me the year of manufacture. MJ in the UK.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can take your model over to the research section, and look it up. Here's a link:
poke here

MJ in the UK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried that Dave, dose not give the year of manifacture, have a look. MJ

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First series of D2, wide gauge tractor, 3J was narrow gauge. From 1938-1947 10,561 tractors were built. The serial number you provided appears to make the tractor to have been built half way through the series, likely to be an early 1940's tractor, and in your neck of the woods, probably a really nice find, as one would think these are not so common to be found in the UK.

Hopefully some help, not sure how to tell the production dates on these with casting numbers or similar, but I believe those can be deciphered, I think I had it written somewhere and its tucked in one of the many old caterpillar manuals or paperwork I have in my collection, someone on ACMOC or ACME forums may recall. Best of luck with your endeavor, post some photos of it if possible.

Doug in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My book indicates it"s a 1942 model.

MJ in the UK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your help. We had a lot of US built tractors sent over to us during WW2 but they did not all get here as the ships were sunk by German U boats. Thy all came over on the lease-lend scheme were the farmer paid for the tractors then the British goverment used the money to buy arms from the USA. I believe we finished paying the debt 2 years ago. MJ

Old Magnet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1942 is the correct year of manufacture.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My grandad was on one of those torpedo'd ships, he and some of his crew survived a U-boat attack, they caused a lot of disruption in shipping until the navy figured out how to deal with them. He had some burns and was roughed up pretty good, tough ole irishman made it, they were floaters for awhile.

WVCase415149
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Caterpillar D2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This one is a 5J2515 I'm thinking it was 1940-41?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.