Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Plow question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hate having to mound dirt up on the potatoes that are growing. That is a long row to shovel dirt up on...lol. Yeah, I am getting older (57) and lazier. A fellow I work with said to use my turn plow and just get up next to the row and it will turn the dirt up on the 'taters. I tried this, but the dirt doesn't get quite close enough to hit the row. It's a two row plow. My question is this! Can I turn the lift pin on one or the other side to "adjust" the position of the plows more outward? Seems it would do the job then. Or to put it another way...I thought about straddling the row and then the plow would do the job, but it would have to be moved the other way about 3 or 4 inches to do this. I appreciate any insight ya'll have on this. There is probably something that is not readily apparent to me to adjust this as I am quite possibly the dumbest farmer ever...lol Embarassed Maybe the U-Bolts?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Hopefully the images will help some.

gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let me add that those are the pics from when I first got it. The plows are quite shinny now. I did hit them with some cheap rustoleum after the first time it was used (last spring). It comes right off when I started plowing this evening so I learned that much from ya'll...lol

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure I understand what straddling the rows would
help Gary, but there are a couple of things that came to mind
when thinking about what you are trying to do.
First, you can unbolt the rear bottom and take it off all together.
That lets you move left to right as needed.
Second, if it's not throwing dirt far enough, go faster!
No, really. The faster you go the further it will toss the dirt.
Hopefully there's something there you can use! Smile

gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you talking about unbolting one of the plows? Looking from the front, would this be the right or left one?

pconnie.ks.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have you tried to use your blade..it can be set at a steep angle and it will mound dirt. straddle the rows..phil

gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pconnie.ks. wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:56:16 06/20/13) have you tried to use your blade..it can be set at a steep angle and it will mound dirt. straddle the rows..phil

What blade are you referring to? I have a boxblade but not one of those angle type blades.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From the front, I was meaning the right one.
You could unbolt it where circled, put it in the barn and
bolt it back on when needed to plow.
This would leave you only the one bottom and let you
manuever closer to or farther away from your rows.
It's just a thought.
A hiller would work better, but I don't have one of those! Smile

gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AhhSooo. Thanks for the clarification. I'll also give the going faster a try as it will probably go better with just one attached. I'll pull it off in the morning and give it a go.

gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm going to make a hiller next year. I have seen the parts to make one on agrisupply in the small catalog they send out every month or so.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just in case you can't get enough speed, you might
consider this conversion. Minus duals.
No warranty expressed or implied either way! Wink

pconnie.ks.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i thought the blade in pic. is just a blade..a box blade wont work.sorry bout that..phil

gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing like a drag race equipped 8N.

gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Update! I removed the plow you had circled and moved the one (on the outside) to the inward about 4 inches or so. I was then able to put the right side wheels on the other side of the 'tater plants and the plow on the left of the plants and it worked beautifully. I could not be any happier with the results. Thanks to every one for the help! This is much better than a shovel.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters