Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Seeding Bromegrass with Oats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffK-MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Seeding Bromegrass with Oats Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all
I want to seed Brome grass with some alfalfa. But my grain drill will not let the brome grass through the grass seeder.
I was told to put the brome with oats in the grain box and set it shallow.
But no one can tell me how to set the feed rate.
I can set it for oats and set the grass seeder different. I have a international 10 grain drill.
Thanks for any info Jeff

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeding Bromegrass with Oats Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before you do this, you do know that brome crowds out alfalfa, don't ya?

Allan

Doug Wis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeding Bromegrass with Oats Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I have seeded brome I always seeded oats too. Brome seed is so fluffy I don't know if the grain part of the drill can be set to accurately meter brome seperately Seems like the brillion seeders have a box for the fluffy type seeds. It might work through the grain box but will have to be set by trial and error.

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeding Bromegrass with Oats Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jeff, it"s not terribly difficult to do but it does take some finesse. First, figure out how many pounds of oats and brome you want to put on. You then mix the brome and the oats together in this proportion. To set the drill add the two together and this will be your setting. One thing to remember, though, is that brome wants to bridge in your seed box really bad unless you have an agitator in there. Every time I did this I put in less than 6" of total product so it would still feed. If you fill the drill it won"t feed at all. Just a few 5 gallon buckets at a time and you will be fine. It can be done. I"ve done it numerous times. Mike

JeffK-MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Seeding Bromegrass with Oats Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
I"m using the hay for beef cows and trying to cut feed cost by growing my own hay and reseeding old pasture. Jeff

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Seeding Bromegrass with Oats Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it does, but it is one of the best grasses to shed water off large round bales. Very little outside spoilage on round bales. The water will only penetrate a couple inches.

randallinMo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Seeding Bromegrass with Oats Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have mixed straight bromegrass seed with fine gound corn before and sowed that. The fine ground corn adds considerable "weight" to it and it feeds down through the seed box wonderfully. It sure worked for me.

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Seeding Bromegrass with Oats Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We do that all the time with brome and oats in the seed box. As others have said add the rates together and adjust accordingly. I will add that it helps to stop periodically and "re-mix" the seed as the brome will tend to separate in the box after a while due to the light weight.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters