Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temperature Gauge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dropped off the engine parts off the $400 8N at the machine shop to let them do their little number on it. Told the guy to go ahead and tap out the little flat spot on the head so I can put a manual temperature in it. He said in his opinion the electrical ones are better. I hadn't never given it much thought. I put a manual one it my pickup. I like it because you can still see the temperature with the key off. Anyone got an option as to one being better over the other. To me just having a temperature gauge is the main thing. But manual you don't need to run any wires to it. Just screw in the sending unit and mount the gauge.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

manual don't care pos or neg ground. or voltage type.

and is pretty much auto-magic. put it in and it reads. power or no power.

me? i'd go manual. one less electrical component to mess with..

Curtsat15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gotta go with manual. KISS principle ya know?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The issue with electric is the sender in the automotive world aftermarket senders are not as good as OEM so were are you going to get a replacement if needed.. I doubt you will ever need one tho...

He's gonna have to pop a 3/8" pipe thread hole in it might as well go with the manual set up at least the sender comes calibrated with the gauge... If you don't like the color are the bezel gets rusty for $15 you have a matched set up.... Its also bias to voltage ...

I can see his point the wire'n is no big issue...

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's pretty much the way I looked at it. Just threw me when the Machinist said he thought electric was better. I think I've got a good machinist. Pass one up 15 miles away for this one 45 miles away. He told me he cut his teeth on 'N's. So I think I will be all right.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He may think theres not enough metal in the head to take a tap.You will have a copper pipe running to the head.These pipes break easy and let one touch a hot terminal.No more gauge.The hose tap is still the safest way.A 60 year old cylinder head could be very thin.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the machinist shouldn't be doing too much guessing. witht he head in hand.. he should precisely know if it can be tapped. if it can't. he can always plug it.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cast iron is never easy to tap.If you have ever looked at cracked heads or blocks you will know thin the casting is.If I could measure the thickness of the cast in the area to be tapped and found it thick enough I would tap it.You have to have an adapter for temp bulbs installed in block.The temp bulb needs a shoulder to be water tight.Cast iron can have some very hard spots in it.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i've been pretty lucky. have never had an issue cutting, drilling, or tapping threads in cast iron. if there is thin webbing.. I can see an issue with threading.. but that can be mitigated with a lil brass. besides. the new style heas have a boss for a temp bulb. i'd think the ford engineers probably designed it with sufficient metal for that to happen..

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuddy Duddy wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:34:22 06/26/13) That's pretty much the way I looked at it. Just threw me when the Machinist said he thought electric was better. I think I've got a good machinist. Pass one up 15 miles away for this one 45 miles away. He told me he cut his teeth on 'N's. So I think I will be all right.

I am lucky to know and have a few very good engine builders/machine shops locally. Their opinions do differ from mine on some issues... Mine differ greatly from theirs on sealing issues,,, theirs is based on sealing it till it gets out of warranty I base mine on 5 years down the road if I have a sealing issue the customer says : you just rebuilt it, it should not have leaked that soon :

I value their ability's,,, one would not touch a N engine if his life depended on it,,, the other takes on all comers...

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went with electric with mine. I put a VDO gauge in it that came as a kit with the sender. One power wire to the gauge, one to ground the gauge and one to the sender from the gauge. Pretty simple and I don't have a cap tube that can get smashed or bent a little too much ties up under the hood.

Rick

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 9n engines were used in light trucks and had heads that were different from tractor heads. the trucks had a temperature gauge.Ford did not use electric temperature gauges until 1940.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

all replacement heads will have the boss as well as the later industrial heads too.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.