Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a little clarification on setting valves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Shuler
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Need a little clarification on setting valves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years back El Toro gave me some good advice about how
to set my valves on my 1950 C." with engine on TDC comp
stroke adjust vales 1,2,3,5 then rotate one full turn of the engine
and do 4,6,7,8." I liked doing this method. Problem is its been a
long time since I did this last time and I cant remember, is one
full turn of the engine when the timing mark comes back around
and lines up again on the fly wheel? My book says .014 with hot
motor. Well Ive had it all apart and its stone cold. Whats a good
ball park to set it at cold?
Thank you,
Paul

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little clarification on setting valves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bring No1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke, then set valves 1-2-3-5 counting from the fan end of the engine. Rotate the engine one full revolution and set valves 4-6-7-8. Set the clearance at .017" cold. Hal

Paul Shuler
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little clarification on setting valves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast reply. Is one rotation of the engine when the fly wheel comes back around to line up with the timing mark. Is that one full rotation. Hope this is not to dumb of a question.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little clarification on setting valves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To clarify so that you know what you are doing 1,2,3,5 are done with TDC on #1 -- 4,6,7,8 are done with TDC on #4. I make sure I am feeling air with my finger when cranking and then line up the marks. That is a foolproof way to do it.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little clarification on setting valves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One full revolution after setting the first 4 valves. No4 piston should be at TDC on the compression stroke. Use a long plastic straw once you feel compression on No1 piston and watch the straw rise as a helper slowly cranks over the engine. Hal

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little clarification on setting valves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When your at TDC on #1 both intake and exhaust valves will be loose , if one is down then your on #4 and just do the valve set in reverse , And if the engine temp is over 70 degrees then set it at the 14 and be done with it . adding a couple thousandths to make up for a HOT engine is not needed . And EVEN IF YOU RAN THE ENGINE till it was really up to operating temp. by the time you got to getting th valve cover off and messen around the valve train is already cooling down . Been setting valves for the last 52 years so i sorta think i know how to do them.

GRAPE-DRANK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little clarification on setting valves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree with the tractor vet. I set mine on my Super A cold at 14. Can't remember the order, but started off with TDC on the number 1 cylinder and worked my way around till I did all cylinders at their TDC. Takes a fraction of a second to crank and runs like a sewing machine.

dej(Jed)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Need a little clarification on setting valves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pull the pan and set mine. To me that's a lot easier.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.