Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head Gasket Sealer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm ready to put the heads on the M602 engine. Heads are well used and not in the best shape but was running fine before. What head gasket sealers are MM people using???? Choices are Permatex Super "300" Form-A-Gasket sealant or Permatex Copper Spray a gasket Hi-Temp sealant.

I just got a 250 lp torque wrench so can get the studs tightend to 170-175 Ft. I do not want any leaks of any kind especially antifreeze.
cleddy

Dieselbear
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use copper spray, but if your worried about them use HY tach, but it will be hard to get it apart later

Joe Pro
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been using copper coat spray on all copper head gaskets lately with no problems.

larry Mi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the rest nothing but the copper spray. I have dad very good luck with it.

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive always used Copper coat as well and have had good luck with it. Did you happen to have the surface of the heads and or blocks checked for warpage? That might be a good idea before assembly. I have an M5 Im doing at the moment.

M.Genrich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aluminum paint. 20 years in a case IH dealership and 5 years on my own and never had a leak.

cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I used the copper sealant and a generous amount that as much as sealant can help I have it. I did check the heads on a flat Surface Plate with feeler gages and a straight edge and thought they were pretty flat. (within .005 but maybe not perfect within .002 as the machine shop recommended)I did not feel they were leaking before so think I'll be fine with what I have but may need an upgrade sometime with better parts. Generally this tractor had a hard life and even the oil pan had a crack toward the front from overloading and abuse.

To the fellow that uses Aluminum paint my Dad must of used aluminum paint last time the tractor was worked on in 1986 as there was paint on the engine and gaskets. It seemed to be adequate because no leaks and a little difficult to break heads loose. I'm pressure testing with low water pressure today and hope to paint engine and put back on the tractor on the 4th holiday weekend.
Cleddy

MMDEL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to use alumminum paint, and it worked well before thay took the lead out of it. Since then I use spray copper coat.
MMDEL

Last edited by MMDEL on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys. Now I have to look for different heads because mine have cracks.Anybody know who would have a pair of 10A4209 heads within driving distance of Omaha NE.
Cleddy

shinnery
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorta driving distance is Stamm Tractors in Washington, KS. Might be a good place to start. My computer is not back all the way or I would have their email.
Bryce

cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks- I am familiar with Stamm tractor having bought some seat cushions through them before. They have them on listed on the computer at a reasonable price and I have a e-mail in to them but he travels a lot so maybe they can help.

A place I know has some new-old stock 10A4010 heads which they say will work but increases Compression and some modification and costs way more than I wanted. May have to go that way yet.
Would that be a good or bad upgrade?
cleddy

shinnery
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 4 LP tractors, 2-M5s & 2-M602s, and all 4 have the 4210 heads so they are fairly common. If you are running gasoline you might need to run premium or at least better than the bottom level gas in it for the higher compression.
Bryce

cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That good to know. I think I bought the last 2 old-new stock in the country and paid way more then the tractor was probably worth so when I get it running she get what ever it needs. Could say I have a sentimental attachment to this tractor.
At least I will not have to worry about cracks now and I am going to do everything possible to prevent overheating this time around.
cleddy

MJamison

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket Sealer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aluminum paint or spray on copper coat. I can't tell you how many times I've taken heads off and found that previous builders used permatex. Remember that what permatex you might see ozzing from between the block and head, there is at least that much more inside, plugging up water and oil passageways causing premature death....

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.