Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT Chevy 2.2 eng

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

95 2.2 Chevy eng had a clacked head from spark plug hole to outside of head. Changed the head with a new one.
Went to start it up an it "tryes" to start but backfires thru the throttle body with fire sometimes.
Acts like it is out of time but I didn"t do anything to mess with the timing.
Checked all vacume hoses, wires an retorqued the nuts for the rocker arms. Also I numbered the spark plug wires before taking them off so I wouldn"t get them out of order.
Some antifreeze got onto the coil end of the spark plug wires would this "short" out the coil?
Any other ideas that may help? Thanks

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try backing off all the rocker arms a turn are so (just to get it started).. The lifters may be pumped up are the valve height may not be correct... Its easier said than done on a truck,,, on a car nuttin to it... It may pay to check if the push rod length is the same on the exhaust and intake...

That's the best wild guess I have...

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Antifreeze shouldn't "short out" the coil. If everything was done correctly, and you didn't have any problems like this prior to the repair, my guess would be the wires are crossed. Any wire ends come off the coil end? Sensors all plugged in? How does it crank? Normal? Laboring? If it doesn't have a smooth rhythm to the cranking, I'd lean toward spark timing. To verify, unplug the coil packs and see if it sounds better when cranking. On a side note, changing the position on old wires can cause them to break internally and create "opens" in the wire. Hope this helps. Gerard

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW if it still has the original coils on it they put the cylinder #'s on'em just for you Very Happy

Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. The plug wires are right, I put numbers on the wire ends from left to right of eng before pulling them an I checked this twice.
The push rods was placed on the bench in the order they came out of the old head an went back one at a time along with the rocker arms.
All the wires an vacume lines are on. They can only go an plug into there right spots due to the size of lines an plug ends male an female.
The eng cranks normal but when it fires it will kick back an sometimes fire comes out.
I will try backing off the rocker nuts a turn or so an see what happens.
Before I replaced the head number 3 cyc would get water in it after setting. After about 4 months the eng stared running like crap. I pulled the head an found a crack in #3 from spark plug hole to excaust side of head.
Thanks again for the "try this" ideas.

Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tryed backing off the lifter nuts a turn but didn't help.

Just thinking could it be the crankshaft sensor has gone bad?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

delvaughn wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:53:29 07/01/13) I tryed backing off the lifter nuts a turn but didn't help.

Just thinking could it be the crankshaft sensor has gone bad?

Confirm the basics ,,, compression, fuel pressure, spark etc...

Its plug wires crossed are a valve open at the wrong time are not closing... Drop it by and leave it week after next with a deposit and I will fix it fer'ya....

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any sensor can go bad at anytime, which is why I asked if the problem just started. Just replacing parts can be expensive and anybody can guess with your money. You may need to have the codes pulled to see if any are there and if any apply.

Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: OT Chevy 2.2 eng Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would a cracked head cause an engine to run like it is only hitting on 3 an not all 4? I knew water was getting into the piston cause water was getting away an I could see it comming out of the tail pile. After it ran for a min or two it would run good.

After about 4 months it started to run like crap an I knew the head or head gasket was bad. That is why I got into the head changing.

Trouble is I don"t have a code machine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.