Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Tire removal from Rim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Schmincke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Rear Tire removal from Rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not something I want to do given my current workload...so who does this sort of grunt work? Never had this opportunity be4.
John

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tire removal from Rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do my own, but most any tire shop will do it too.
Whether you deliver it or pay them for a service call.
I use a little press device to break the bead down and change the
tire while the rim is still on the tractor.
Others lay them flat and hammer them with a mall or a tire hammer.
Press the bead loose with a front end loader/skid steer.
Back over it with a pickup tire, etc.
Various methods but you'll still need a good set of spoons or blunt pry bars.
Then again, as JMOR once said "tire guy's gotta eat too".

Here's the press I use: Lil Buddy

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tire removal from Rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do it all the time but then I do have the equipment to do it so very little real work doing it. It all comes down to know how or lack of know how as to how hard it is to do

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tire removal from Rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i do my own.. but any tire shop that will handle tractor tires could/should be able to do it.

NoNewParts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tire removal from Rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do my own because I'm usually broke when it's needed....
but it NOT my favorite thing.
tire stores do it,
but also, some small Farm yards and parts places do it.
Keep your eyes open in farm country, at those little corner gas stations.
Found a reasonable, very talented older guy that does them near me. He'll get my next one.
asked, because of all the big tractor tires around his place.

and like Royce said, most guys near me much prefer you bring
the whole tractor. It's easier for them when they are still on it

Last edited by NoNewParts on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tire removal from Rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do all my own tire work.
Drive onto the tire next to the rim with the front tire of my pickup to break the bead. Then use a combination of 30" crow bars and wunderbars to remove the tire.
Kind of hard, dirty work if they've been on there for years but even bringing the tire in will cost about $75 to get a flat fixed. Plus another $60 for a service call if they have to come to your location.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tire removal from Rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too do all of my own tire work, which is ONE reason why I NEVER load tires with anything aside from air.

The best tool for breaking beads on tractor tires is a slide hammer. You will want one if you plan to anything other than rare tire work.

A decent slide hammer will cost $100 or more. I bought mine for $50 a few years when Northern Tool had one on clearance. Prior to that, I borrowed one from a friend.

Dean

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.