Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

35 Standard Oil Pressure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: 35 Standard Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While waiting on the rain to cut the rest of the yard I decided to swap out the PRV spring to eliminate that as a cause for the pressure drop after warmup. The pressure was already down to 20 from 60 an after finishing I cranked the adjuster all the way in while it ran which collapes the spring entirely so its not the PRV.The gauge came off my 50 and it always held 40 lbs.The mains and oil pump guts have been changed.Any ideas???

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 35 Standard Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What color is the rest of the dash 2? Get a spray can of rustoleum and accidently overspray the glass a little....

Charles in Aus.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 35 Standard Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL!

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 35 Standard Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if all the bottom bearings have been changed then that only leaves the camshaft bearings which can be a problem on these Standards. But as long as you have oil coming to the tappets I would not worry. It is more about oil flow than oil pressure....Why these modern cars with the oil light put the light out at about 3 lbs of pressure!
I have a Fergie with the Standard vaporising oil engine ( the one I gave 40 for, Charles!!! LOL) and it only shows 5lbs when cold which drops away to ? It has been like this since 1986 and it made 1200 bales of hay every year on our farm plus worked the potato patch and is still going strong!
Sleep easy 2 tractors............Sam

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 35 Standard Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Samn its just this tractor that I got for 600 is my favorite, not only does the govenor work but the lift holds. I'm troubleshooting the temp. gauge which stays on zero. Po said the water pump was new but I'm not getting much circulation, pulled block drain and got a few drops, used infared and got 200 most everywhere except exhaust manifold which was close to 500f.Pulled gauge sensor and with a lighter got a reading?? Thinking its a heating problem.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 35 Standard Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen a few instances in car engines where aftermarket main bearings and rod bearings do not have the same radius on the edge of the bearings as the originals or the crank had been turned and the machine shop did not put the same radius back on the crank. Those things can also bleed off oil pressure. I know you didn"t have your crank turned but if there was any difference in the bearings radius it can cause it to drop some. I agree with everyone else, just run it. My TO-20 only shows about 20 when it"s cold and then it drops, but an engine only needs 10 pounds of pressure for each 1000 rpms that it turns. So these old low speed engines will live a long time with low oil pressure. I"ll take low pressure with modern oils over high oil pressure and the oil they had back when these tractors were new any day.

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 35 Standard Oil Pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jason thats something to think about with the edges. Being a devout reader of the archives I'm one well schooled on what is meadeochra, while wishing for a cure and whinning over 20 LBS,I understand the no sympaty frame of mine from the others well scooled.Just gotta find 60lbs all day. Maybe rustoleum clear coat.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.