Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TE-20 block water jacket flush

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maineman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, when I got my Ford 640 it had a leaking freeze plug between the bell housing and the block. While replacing it I pulled the rest of the freeze plugs and flushed the whole block thourghly. I had to shovel a lot of crud, sand, silt, rust, whatever out of there! Glad I did runs nice and cool.
Now, when I'm running my Fergie, I get a lot of hot air blown back at me! I'd like to do the same block flush. But the standard motor has no freeze plugs? How does one clean the block's water jacket?

Joe

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat with a 87mm standard gas 35, you may want to read my post on oil pressure, I've had vinegar in mine for about 4 months/20hrs of work.My temp gauge stays at zero and if I remove the sensor water trickels out and only a few drops from block drain and thats with it completely removed. May check the parts stores for a wash out.Let me know what you find and what your oil pressure is.

Charles in Aus.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a brass water distribution tube in the
later 87mm heads, once this is removed piles of
rusty scale can be cleaned out easily. There is a
slightly domed cover plate at the rear of the right
hand side of the head , this is at one end of the
tube . The other end ,I think is accessible from
under the water pump. A slide hammer and a lot of
care will allow you to pull the tube out .

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have 100% vinegar in there?
I would flush and go with new 100% vinegar again.
Remove radiator cap and block drain and give it short bursts of air to clear a path to drain old vinegar,..

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No-one ever use washing soda?
Sam

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know on Freightliners and Peterbuilts and such, when the oil cooler ruptures and they cooling system gets filled with oil and sludge they use powder dish washing detergent because it won't suds up and they say it cleans really well. I haven't tried it myself and I'm not sure how it would work against deposits but it definitely couldn't hurt.

miner09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've used Casade Dishwashing Cleaner to clean radiators on Dozers when they were running hot. Most the time it made a lot of difference.

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No but flow is so bad it couldn't hurt.

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TE-20 block water jacket flush Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked for the oval rear head port and SURE enough its there, Samn , your the standard guru!! Come fix mine and stay awhile!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.