Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hay bale deer blind.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone have any diagrams for a ssb deer blind. I am thinking I could have 80 or so rebaled junk bales to use for that at the end of haying season. Just a small 3x4 foot ID space for one MZ hunter in Dec/Jan when it is sub zero temp..

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I place 4 or more bales in a circle with an open center and an opening to slide in. I've killed a lot of deer that way over the years from them. The deer get used to them and most sound is absorbed by the hay, plus they're the best gun rest you can get.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That might work. I am going to go up five bales high (70 inches) as a platform and then make the "enclosure". I am thinking 10 bales per layer?

Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have left some rd bales in a circle for a landlord to use. i'm not too impressed with the idea. first of all, deer get used to other kinds of blinds so hay isn't all that magic. from what I've found, mice and of course snakes find them quite attractive. nothing like waking up from a nap to find a snake crawling up your boot. -john-

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just so someone else doesn't use that top bale for target practice while you're in it. Seriously! Jim

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I might be able to get four high in a pinch, but I used a raised blind that was three high last year and the biggest problem was tha it was a PITA to get in and out of. The circular blinds that I make I usually put on a knoll or higher spot, and just put an old bucket in for a seat. Never had a problem with snakes, but had a fox hop up one time. Guess it made it easy for him to spot mice. Scared the crap outta him when he saw me...

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I slid into my favorite pile of bales and set up my rifle. Set out my bino's and settled down for some serious bambi busting. Then, I happened to look out the front of the blind to see a local kid sitting up in front in some brush in full camo (no orange) and a set of binoculars. Asked him what he was doing, and he told me he was looking for deer. Had to chase him off- he wasn't hunting- just 'looking'. Good way to get shot.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I place a sheet of plywood on for a roof, and then put a couple bales on it to keep it there.

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hay bale deer blind. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Snow Snakes???

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.