Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trailer brake magnet amp draw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mite-help
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: trailer brake magnet amp draw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ask this question on transporting forum, but no response yet--- any of you guys know the max amp draw on dexter 10k axle electric brake magnet? thanks.

VADAVE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brake magnet amp draw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't understand the reason for your question.
If you're trying to figure wire size about 14 gauge, that's what is on most brake systems. If you brakes aren't coming on and you're thinking there's high resistance, maybe but first check the braking surface. The surface will rust and the brakes are slow untill that is scrubed off--just lightly apply the brakes for a block or two, 1/4 mile, should do it.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brake magnet amp draw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"BRAKES - How do I measure brake current or amperage?"

"Dexter 7" brakes draw about 2.5 amps per brake and {{{{{{all other brake magnets draw about 3 amps per brake}}}}}}. The total system amperage is calculated by multiplying this number by the number of brakes/magnets connected to the brake system. To measure the brake current, the engine of the towing vehicle should be running. Disconnect the wire at the point that you wish to measure the current draw and put the ammeter in series with this line. Make sure your ammeter has sufficient capacity and note polarity to prevent damaging your ammeter. NOTE: If a resistor is used in the brake system, it must be set to zero or bypassed completely to obtain the maximum amperage reading. The amount of current draw will depend on what point you are measuring. If the ammeter is at the plug, you will get the total current draw from all magnets. If the ammeter is connected at one of the magnets, you will measure the current draw through that magnet only."
Scroll about halfway down.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brake magnet amp draw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 10k & 14k trailer. My conroller is wired with a 15 amp fuse. Never blown a fuse. My controller has a digital voltmeter and never does it even get close to 5v. If it did, I would be slidding the tires. Usually it's 2 or 3 volts.
George

mite-help
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brake magnet amp draw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many thanks, bob--exactly the info I needed--

mite-help
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brake magnet amp draw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you George; this unit has an automatic reset breaker, can't make out amp rating. kinda felt like I knew, but woulda been going too high. sorta thinking 20-25 amp. I think controller read-out is not working properly-prob. due to dead short--will start off with my tractor ampmeter in case.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brake magnet amp draw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're kinda handy to have around when it comes to sparky chat Bob

John T

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brake magnet amp draw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I first installed my controller, I used a cheap harbor freight ammeter. Don't recall the exact amps. You can always start around a 20 amp fuse, measure the current, then decide.
George

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.