Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor Year For Sweetcorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This has been the worst summer for sweet corn. Germination has been spotty, now it's lodging and the second patch isn't emerging much better. Don't know if it's the seed or what. My field corn, on the other hand, is chest high. I don't get it.

Larry

Harvey2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What part of the woods you all in?
I'm in south Indiana, and my sweet corn is looking good, its now setting silks and starting to tassel.
I plant Bodousies, (I know its spelt rong) but it still does good.

Rootsy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fergienewbee wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:57:02 07/02/13) This has been the worst summer for sweet corn. Germination has been spotty, now it's lodging and the second patch isn't emerging much better. Don't know if it's the seed or what. My field corn, on the other hand, is chest high. I don't get it.

Larry

I waited until the 2nd week in May to plant sweet corn in Southern Michigan. Some of it was spotty, some of it is pretty nice. My later planted stuff looks very good. Most of the first planting is about chest high at the moment and beginning to push tassels.

Lot of uneven corn down here and grass in the beans is the worst I've ever seen it.

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just came in from my shop putting up sweet corn to get a snack. Mine looks good but does not seem as sweet as normal. Maybe to much rain?
Richard in NW SC

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine was doing pretty good in the garden until SWMBO's &%%#@ goat gave it a pruning. I think it will bounce back, but the pepper and strawberries appear to be terminal.

Tim Barnes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Richard G. wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:27:01 07/02/13) I just came in from my shop putting up sweet corn to get a snack. Mine looks good but does not seem as sweet as normal. Maybe to much rain?
Richard in NW SC
Richard, I'm from North Greenville County. A family near me, the Haygoods, grow a bunch of sweetcorn to sell at their roadside stand on hwy 11. It's usually been great but this years isn't as sweet, so far. I think you're right, too much rain. I reckon it beats the alternative, like the drought last year.

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rootsy;

I planted my first patch May 18. It's just over knee-high and sparse. Plants seem weak. Second patch, planted June 7, barely came up. Out of for 15-20 foot rows, maybe a dozen came up. Last patch planted 6-24 is starting to emerge and has time yet to make it. I'm about 25 miles SW of Grand Rapids and 15 miles east of Holland. Every thing else in the garden is doing well.

Larry

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know, I planted a row on a nice berm in my upper small garden patch, which is the best soil I have at the moment, June 5th, with a earthway planter, 90 day burpee silver queen, nothing came up, blame it on the rain. So I replanted that in 64 day corn. We shall see. Ok, so somewhere before June 21st I tried again, (lower patch and low and behold its up, but I don't know if its the darned planter, new last year, the rocky soil, well one side is) have some skips, frustrating, so I fixed that, I have 2 other varieties, less days, so I should get that late, I would have wasted $70 of seed had I planted the rest June 5th, next year I'll have to make sure the lower patch is done early, just could not get it done as early, late crop of potatoes is up and the liquid fence is working, I'll augment that with posts and fish line / cans, missed a 'chuck yesterday, well I'm out of practice, no shooting, set a trap today, I'll be darned, nothing but a struggle, it seems, but once its up far enough, it won't be so much a pain. Looking back I think it would have been ok earlier, but was dry, but can water, I'll take an "A" for effort. Cripes I even bought on the cheap $150.00, a Troy Bilt Junior to cultivate the patch, something better give LOL !

Gene Dotson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My sweet corn here in western, Ohio looks excellent. Planted 3 rows on May 6 and another row on May 16. Have not had excessive rain here and actually had to water it twice. I think at least 95 percent germination. Early variety is starting to tassel. Hope my timing is right. I supply the sweet corn for family reunion the last week of July.

Gene

DoubleR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife just replanted our sweet corn. She just tilled it up Sunday and replanted it. Don't know why, just a few stalks came up. I have a field of corn next to it that's chest high, great looking corn, so far.

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ours emerged fairly well but has been water logged since emergence. It has a yellow "hue". Some varieties are 4 ft tall with tassels and some is 3 ft tall and starting to tassle. Kinda short but maybe it"ll make an ear 😁

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor Year For Sweetcorn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim Barnes wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:47:28 07/02/13)
Richard G. wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:27:01 07/02/13) I just came in from my shop putting up sweet corn to get a snack. Mine looks good but does not seem as sweet as normal. Maybe to much rain?
Richard in NW SC
Richard, I'm from North Greenville County. A family near me, the Haygoods, grow a bunch of sweetcorn to sell at their roadside stand on hwy 11. It's usually been great but this years isn't as sweet, so far. I think you're right, too much rain. I reckon it beats the alternative, like the drought last year.

Tim, I stopped putting it up after 100 ears. I am going to plant a late patch and see what happens.
Richard in NW SC

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.