Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think I need a new welder

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Starting to think there's something wrong with my old Lincoln 225AC tombstone with Miller 150DC rectifier... I think it's getting tired after 40 years of abuse.

I can't run 1/8" rods for %$#@ anymore. Hobart 6011 or 7018, all they want to do is stick and sputter even up to the rectifier's max of 145A. Makes me look like a total hack.

It used to work much better. I have no problems with Dad's Hobart Stickmate so it ain't me...

I thought the old Lincolns were bulletproof?

Any thoughts on a replacement? I'm real curious about those multiprocess welders like the Miller Multimatic 200.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

take the diode out of line and try to run that 1/8 6011 on about 95a straight ac.. etc. see what ya get.

are you running 6011 dc or 6010?

in any case.. if it runs 6011 ac, on 95a the machine is probably working, and i'd look at the diode pack..

rankrank1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For giggles can you bypass the add-on rectifier and try the AC side only with the 6011?

If it still acts funny then my bet is that the selector switch is corroded up. There are How-to instructions on the web on how to clean this switch. Most parts are still available from Lincoln if you were to need any, but you usually do not need any. Usually some fine sand paper and scotch brite pad is all you need after some switch disassembly. Would we worth your time to try it.

For a replacement welder (which is very unlikely) then I would go either either Hobart Stickmate or Miller Thunderbolt (they are same welder actually). There is even a bigger version that is available over the standard 230AC/160DC output model if you willing to spend extra $.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you think you need a new welder I would go with that thought! WooHoo! An excuse-ummm,,errr-reason to buy a new welding machine.(Doesn't mean you cannot keep and fix the old one too, right?)
I bought an Everlast Stick, TIG, plasma machine and think it is awesome to have the extra process abilities as well as the small package it comes in!
Great machine for the money. Hard to go wrong with a Miller though if you can justify the $$$...Sure love my Miller 211 wire feed. It just seemed worth the extra bucks for a name brand wire machine that I use a lot.

jimlll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've added a rectifier to my ancient Smith stick welder. Can you tell me the value of the capacitors on your machine.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd be more inclined to bet on the rectifier pack or simply bad cables. Those go bad too... more than you think. Doubt it's the old Linc. Those things are pretty well indestructible.

Rod

Greg 2N (TX)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also check if your open circuit voltage at the AC side is about
80V.
If good voltage level, it can be connection problems, wiring, or
diode(s). If diodes, one may be open or high resistance.

If low voltage level on all switch settings and source breakers
are good, with no load (open circuit), then the transformer may
have shorted windings if the magnet wire insulation got too
hot. But that older unit probably has pure copper windings,
very good stuff! So if it is low then something is wrong back
towards the transformer.

Greg

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Copper wire in a Lincoln 225 main windings is a fable.I bought my 225 in 1964 for 93.00.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adding capacitors will bring the open circuit voltage up to 95 volts.Too much.You need a choke coil on a DC converter.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How does it weld on AC?A 225 Lincoln should have an idle current of 2 amps.Have you measured the primary voltage.Should be 240.

Greg 2N (TX)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh my...
Sorry I was over optimistic.
I've never owned one until recently and a lot of folks keep saying the old units had copper and not copper-alloy. Some say that they are now all Aluminum which would really be high resistance.

So were the older units still only good for about 20% duty cycle at 225 Amps?

Greg

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of liars on forums.

jimlll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a circuit diagram from a manufactured unit that indicates capacitors, but does not give the capacity. I think they are used to smooth the peaks.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They raise the total voltage..

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I need a new welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's funny how people rant about the AC 225 being so bullet proof yet you never see any in welding shops. They're OK for a hobby or small farm welder but are still a low end machine. They were always 20% duty cycle.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.