Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grease gun

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

James has had it with the two grease guns he had. Neither were cheap (sorry, don't know the brand), but he was spending more time getting the grease gun to work than it took to grease the piece of equipment.

He needs a pistol grip and flexible hose. He does not want and air powered.

What brand do you recommend?

Not looking for a fight here, just want to see what others have that they are happy with.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Nancy Howell,

Lincoln has been the best and most reliable brand I ever used. They are still making them. Not sure if American made though. The hand held pistol grip flex hose unit is part #1134.
Here is the website link

Guido.
grease gun

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got 2 pistol grip grease guns. One of them I bought new at the local farm store, the other one came from a farm auction. The old one works perfect. The new one never did work quite right. A full stroke of the handle equals about 1/2 of a stroke.

The rigid pipe can easily be removed and a flexible hose installed. The flexible hose comes in many different lengths. I've seen up to about 4 feet in length.

I've been using grease guns for probably 50 years now, and I know the little tricks needed to get the air out. Some of these new grease guns just plain don't work.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like Guido, I like Lincoln but have also had good luck with tractor branded guns, e.g., NH and JD.

Of course, the tractor manufacturers do not make the grease guns that they sell with their names on them but major brands usually try to assure that the accessories that they sell do not tarnish their reputation.

If your husband has large greasing projects, he might want to consider a battery powered gun. If he already has a battery powered drill and/or other tools, perhaps he can find one that uses the same battery that his other tools take.

Anything but an early adopter, I bought my first battery powered tools about a month ago. A battery posered grease gun is next on my list.

Dean

S2710
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two pistol grip ones. one is Lubrimatic made in USA and the other one has no name on it. Both work well. You didn't say weather he was using bulk grease or tubes. If he is using bulk his gun may have the plunger made for tubes so it will not work right with bulk. If he is using tubes always store tubes upright with the top end facing down. When you load the gun always screw the barrel tight and then back off a turn, then release the plunger and pump the handle till grease comes out. I have had to with some very stiff grease take the gun and slam it against something to get the grease to slide down the tube to make it pump. I had one that no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work so I scraped it. HTH

Bob

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have 2, one pneumatic from NAPA, the other a Lincoln battery for field work. Both are good guns, but I am not sure I preferred the old lever type over both of these.

Jim/IN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The best advice I can offer is to always store a grease gun upside down. That way there is less tendency to have an air pocket right under the pump mechanism. You know the old routine; start to grease the baler, by the time you get to the second zerk you"re pumping air, so you throw the gun down in frustration and go find another one.

I"ve never had anything mechanically ever go wrong with even the cheapest grease gun, it"s always air in the wrong place.

ajco
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When gun air locks unscrew nozzle pipe or hose & pump handle to remove air & get grease again .

Bill in Colo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Nancy, I bought a 14.4 Lincoln from northern hydraulics. best $200 I've spent with arthritis and age getting to me I needed help. Will run at least 6 tubes per charge.
Hope to get started haying this week and looking forward two both sons being home from Texas for my 70 th birthday on Saturday.
Take Care Bill

hd6gtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nancy, years ago I went to some training on oil and grease. The instructor told us the worst thing you could do with your grease gun was lay it down in the tractor tool box and let it bounce around. It will develop an air pocket in the tube. Mine are now clipped to the side of the tractor or baler with one of those good quality grease gun holders. When I was in the tire business we also did oil changes, this included greasing the fittings. We bought many grease guns over the years, found the cheep ones worked as well as the expensive ones. However with arthritis effecting my hands, am going to go to my local NAPA store and ask their advice on a battery powered unit.

NEKS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Grease gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always wonder why at a farm sale they will hold up 3 to 5 grease quns at one time. Now I know, lost two so far haying. Must layed it on swather and forget it. Must be in a bale of hay. Painted the one I use now reflective orange.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.