Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4020 power steering cuts out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clodhopper Pete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 4020 about a month ago. A couple of times now while backing up a hay wagon the power steering has cut out. Other wise the ps hasn't given me a bit of trouble. My neighbor told me the 4020 he had did the same thing sometimes. Is that a common problem on that tractor, and what needs to be done to fix it? Thanks for any suggestions.
Pete

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1st thing I'd suggest to do is check stand-by pressure. It should be 2250 psi. 4020's don't have a history of intermittent power steering.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What year is it and what transmission?? If the transmission pump is weak it will not keep enough flow going to the front pump as you feather the clutch while backing, also could be a high pressure leak to sump causing to much reserve pressure oil to get away...

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen this issue immediately after starting when the check valve leaks from front pump back into the transmission.

Clodhopper Pete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a 1970 syncro.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim hit the nail on the head. When backing trailer every time clutch is depressed trans pump stops pumping oil to frt pump.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It seems that the console models are worse for this, a lot of times it's the PTO operating valve leaking through...

AJB-830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim,
Was reading this today. A friend of mine has a 3020 Syncro Transmission with the same problem. He had the transmission pump replaced in spring and now the problem is back. Any clue as to what might be wrong or could it be that a bad pump was installed. Otherwise it will have to be hauled back to his JD dealer. Thanks. Al

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Al, I have had this same thing happen and it can be tough to find the reason, There is a way to install a check valve down on the left rear side where the charge oil leaves the case (It has been talked about on here with the things you need to do it), this can help, then isolate components one at a time to try and find if one of them is letting standby oil pressure escape too quickly. The thing to think about is the charge oil supply stops as you press the clutch pedal down,so the reserve is what is in the oil cooler, or on console models the storage tank out front.if the trans pump is bad it will let oil barf back past the worn gears, plus not supplying a strong charge to start with, if this is freshened up and the problem still exists a component such as the brake valve ,Scv,steering,could be leaking through using up the reserve oil supply as you feather the clutch while backing, or edging forward.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll add to what Tim stated to check each hyd function with a laser thermometer to see if one component is getting hotter than the rest of them.

AJB-830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 power steering cuts out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim S, Tx Jim,
Thanks for your replies. My friend will probably be taking his 3020 back to the JD dealer to see if they can find the problem. We are not that experienced in fixing hydraulic problems or have the tools. Will let you know what they find. Al

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.