Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 440 baler knotter frustrations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corona Boy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: IH 440 baler knotter frustrations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Inside knotter will loop and
hang up on bill hook shaft. Not
every time. But the most
without is five bales. Cut the
twine off hook,run twine thru
twine disc and tie off. Good for
3 or 4 more bales. I'm thinking
twine tension on that one
knotter. Suggestions?
Comments? Ideas?

North Vale - PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler knotter frustrations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on a JD baler, that is a sign the tucker fingers are not pushing the twine into correct position.

jlewis457
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler knotter frustrations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 430 and i think it is the same. First clean every speck of string out of the knotters, second make sure all the string is cleaned out of the knotters that is how important it is. make sure you are using 9600 twine not small round bale twine. if I rember right you dont have to thread the string through the knotters just through the needle and tie off to the arm. I fought mine for over four hours one day just enough for a lite shower to ruin all my hay and when the dryed the next day it worked perfect mine always misses when it comes to the end of a ball of string and I just stop clean the knotter and go on mine will never miss after that. Watch after bragging on it that thing will make me pay
I hope this help you
John

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler knotter frustrations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NV- totally different knotter. JD is similar to a NH, IH is a Mc Cormick design. After the bale is tied, it leaves two little 'rabbit ears' in the knot.

matt robinson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler knotter frustrations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bale with a 430 and have had the same problem. I used to get the same results you are getting every 5 bales. Since then I loosened the bill and kept it well lubricated with light penetrating oil. also do not over grease the knotters for that will cause twine to get stuck too. you should grease every 1000 bales and grease lightly. that worked for me its worth a shot

Paul swpa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler knotter frustrations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be a lot of things going on. Twine tension is a good place to start. Also check the keeper settings and helper spring on the knotter, new twine knives and position they are put on in can sometimes help. I saw on here somewhere that plunger slop can be part of the problem too. That's what I'm down to on my 440 to try and solve this problem. It worked great when we got it, so thinking something is worn.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler knotter frustrations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the wiper arm is not pulling the know off the hook. Do you have the manual? That is an absolute MUST for a baler. Dozens of adjustments to me made in a critical order.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters