Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Covering up faded paint with new paint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EM Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Covering up faded paint with new paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If a tractor's paint isn't flaking or crumbling, just faded, how might someone go about recoating it? Would you wirewheel the cast parts, then prime and paint it. Could you get away with not using primer?
The sheetmetal of course would be sanded down, primed and painted. I just wanted to know if a guy could put another couple coats on to bring the shine back. Thanks

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Covering up faded paint with new paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Problem with cast is that it is almost impossible to sand. It can be scuffed with a scotchbrite pad, which I haven't tried. Most 50/50 people (looks good going by 50 ft away at 50 mph) just pressure wash it and paint it -- that includes dealers. I restore tractors, disassemble and wire wheel the cast, thus removing the paint. If your paint is what you consider good, then try scuffing it, clean it up good followed by wax and grease remover. Most people probably don't use primer, but I would use epoxy primer because there are going to be some bare areas, and the cast being rough is going to have the paint removed from the "points" if you scuff it. If you don't remove all parts off the cast and paint separately there are a lot of nooks and crannies and areas behind the parts that will not get painted. The only way I would do it is disassemble, strip, and repaint. -- But you can do as you please. Your tractor has probably been repainted, likely by the 50/50 people. Most tractors will have rust under the paint, so it really should be stripped.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Covering up faded paint with new paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Power wash the tractor, maybe use a degreasing agent to get rid of all the oil and grease. Lightly sand the sheet metal, and then paint it. Granted the end result will not be the same as a full restoration, but the tractor will still look very good.

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Covering up faded paint with new paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went to buy primer for something like that and the auto body supply guy told me I could direct spray over the old paint.Said to scuff sand it with 320 or 400. You could also bring up the paint by buffing it out. Youv'e heard the saying " Yeah that will buff out " Usually it will not buff out but maybe.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.