Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

rear wheel weights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been given a set of 1 piece rear wheel weights for a 8N. now I know they go inside of the rear wheels, but have no idea how to mount them correctly. I have a idea, but not sure. can someone help me out? thanks

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you post a photo?

LME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are they the big cast rings that weigh about 300 pounds? If they are they have 3 long bolts that replace 3 of the short bolts that hold the wheel disc to the rim.

mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they are the big cast ones. I knew they were heavy but had no idea they were 300 lbs haha. so if I replace 3 bolts with longer ones that should do it? I would think with the longer bolts the nuts still need to be used to hold rim on hat and the extra thread is used to mount weights. am I thinking right? thanks for the help.

LME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right, the nuts go on the inside of the rim. I have the bolts, could measure them if that would help.

mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the hat/rim bolts look like they are a 5/8 carriage bolt. i'll take a look at the weights and try to figure out what length bolts I need. those weights look like just what I need to try some plowing this fall. also do you know if those weights would fit on the rear of a 860 as well? the bolt pattern looks about the same, but not sure about clearance around the brake drum, etc. thanks for your help.

LME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The weights I have were on my 8N, when I traded it in on my 860 in 1956 they put the weights on it. I bought my 8N new in 1950 and traded it for the 860 in 1956, still have the 860. Will never sell it, may give it away to one of my Grandson's someday.

mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you made my day lme. I think the weights will go on the 860. i'm looking forward to a grandson. my kids have no use for my stuff. they just live in a different world I guess haha. thanks for the help lme. mike

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If these are the weights you have this is how I mount them. I usually use 4 bolts instead of 6 this way the disc stays in place. cut some scrap steel to go over the hole and then a big washer and lock nut. I set the tire on a couple of 6x6"s and when done slip a floor jack under and jack it all the way up and lift so I"m not killing my back. They can also be mounted with the tire on the tractor. The weights in the photo are 100 lbs each segment. they are about 3" thick. They also have lighter sets that are thinner. they are about 60 lbs each segment. you can also double up on these sets. I have some weights available should you need the other side or another set. Shipping is always a problem because of the weight and can kill a deal. Best if you can find them local.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok just reread your post, guess I missed the part about the "1" piece.
These are the one piece on my 671. Care must be taking to not damage you air valve when mounting. You may have to mount them on the outside by reversing the rims on the disc.

Tim Daley(MI)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: rear wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Original Ford Hat Rim bolts were indeed a 5/8-18 special carriage bolt but you can only get new ones at just 8n's or Dennis Carpenter. Fine thread carriage bolts just aren't made any longer commercially. Try to keep the old ones if you can. You may have to spring for coarse thread carriage bolts -5/8-11 if you need longer ones. I'd buy your old ones too if you want to sell...

Tim Daley(MI)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters