Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 214t baler twine knives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyd4ntx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: JD 214t baler twine knives Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently acquired a John Deere 214T baler. The baler is old but still working.

I put up 425 bales this past month but we had about 45 or 50 that did not tie on the left hand side, the right hand/inside knotter never misses.

I would like to remove the knife arm assembly to replace or sharpen the twine knives but without removing the whole knotter assembly I can't see how you could get the knife arm out?

How do you sharpen or change the twine knifes?
is there any way to remove the arm assembly without pulling the knotters apart?

I have the operators manual and all the previous owners notes. He kept the old girl in very reasonable shape.

Also did John Deere have anything like a "shop manual or service manual for balers, I am finding that I need more info then the operators manual provides?

Andrew.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 214t baler twine knives Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On all the balers I have messed with be it NH or JD all I do to sharpen the twine knife is pull the knotter bolt out and flip it up and use a small wet stone. I do that once a year on my NH271. First 30 or so I did this year missed a few knots but after I sharpened the knifes it did not miss a 1 in 200 I did later

andyd4ntx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: JD 214t baler twine knives Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:17:59 07/16/13) On all the balers I have messed with be it NH or JD all I do to sharpen the twine knife is pull the knotter bolt out and flip it up and use a small wet stone. I do that once a year on my NH271. First 30 or so I did this year missed a few knots but after I sharpened the knifes it did not miss a 1 in 200 I did later

That is what I was thinking of doing, but there is not much room to get at the twine knife.... I may have to get a smaller wet stone as mine are all too big to get any near the twine knives. maybe I can borrow ( steal ) one of the wife's emery boards she uses for her nails. That might be about the right size to get in there. Thanks Old.
Andrew.

Last edited by andyd4ntx on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 214t baler twine knives Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The wet stone I use if about 2 inches long and maybe 3/4 inch wide and all of 1/4 inch thick. Like one you get that sits in a knife case for like a hunting knife etc.

andyd4ntx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 214t baler twine knives Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Old. I might have one of those laying around some ware???? I will have to see if I can find it. Thanks for the reply.
Andrew.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 214t baler twine knives Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used a small stone like Old does. I also usually flip the knotter up and use a Dremmil with a small stone in it. You can really touch up a dull knife in less than a minute.

I also have a set of stones that will fit my die grinder. They work too but the Dremmil is lighter and easier to wrok with.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.