Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MH Pony Generator Not Charging

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palpatine
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: MH Pony Generator Not Charging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1949 Massey Harris Pony that I"ve recently restored. It has a 6 volt generator with the saddle-style cutout on top of it. The Generator is not charging. I pulled the cap off the cutout, and the contact points were open with the engine running. I manually closed the contact points by pushing them down with a screwdriver. When I did, the Ammeter went from zero to pegging on the left side. The contact points stayed together until I pulled them apart (a second or so).

I took the generator to NAPA, and they tested it on their machine. He said it was showing some charge, but he said that didn"t necessarily mean it was good. I didn"t have the cutout on it when he tested it.

Could my cutout be bad?
Is there something wrong with my generator?
Could it possibly be wired incorrectly to cause this issue?

The wire coming out of the generator is fastened to the "A" terminal underneath the cutout. The Field terminal of the generator is going to the light switch. The "BAT" terminal of the cutout is going to the Ammeter.

Thanks.

51Pony
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MH Pony Generator Not Charging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you have the 3 position light switch in the right setting?

Palpatine
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MH Pony Generator Not Charging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think so. I've tried all 3 positions with the tractor running, but none of them seem to make a difference in the charging.

51Pony
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: MH Pony Generator Not Charging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you have a wiring diagram to make sure everything is wired up right?

Palpatine
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MH Pony Generator Not Charging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do. I put a new wiring harness on it, which had instructions and number-coded wires. I'm pretty sure it's hooked up right. The wire coming out of the generator (through the rubber grommet) is connected to the screw on the underside of the cutout relay. The blue wire is on the generator's field post, and goes to the light switch. The red wire is on the cutout's BAT terminal and goes to the ammeter. The new light switch came with instructions, too, and I believe I followed them correctly.

Palpatine
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MH Pony Generator Not Charging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, as it turns out the generator was the problem. I took it to a resident generator guru and he repaired it. Now it"s charging like it should. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.