Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MF 253 transmission fluid is milky

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken in FL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: MF 253 transmission fluid is milky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I drained my MF253 transmission, hydraulics and removed the transmission filter. 3 pt lift not lifting started this fluid draining maintenance. As I suspected... it was milky meaning water in the fluid. I talked with a local tractor dealer and they told me to check the shift lever boots for cracks. They were right on the mark... both were leaking. One is replaced and the other is on order.

Question is... would it be ok to put diesel in the tranny... then drive it around for 3 or 4 minutes to wash it out some? If it is ok, how many gallons should I put in to clean it out some?
I drained about 12 gallons out of the tranny and hydraulics.
Thanks for the information, Ken

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: MF 253 transmission fluid is milky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would ask the tractor maintenance forman,
if you screw up the system by putting some type non compatible cleaner in the hyd system you could be looking at $1000's in repair cost.

I would not take a chance on using the wrong oil or cleaner.

Ken in FL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: MF 253 transmission fluid is milky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Ken

Ken in FL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 253 transmission fluid is milky Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 3 pt lift is now all well. Drained, cleaned the filter good, washed the gearbox & hydraulics out per tractor repair shop, installed new 10-30 permantran III about 8.5 gallons, (drained out about 12 gallons of milk... had lots of water from leaking shift boots). Now the lift is working like it should. Ken

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.