Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MF 50 two stage clutch tools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wratchet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: MF 50 two stage clutch tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had to change motor in my MF 50 and the replacement had only a single stage clutch but I want the two stage clutch from the original motor. How can I get alignment set --no I do not have any type of pilot shaft like I use on my hot rods. Anyone know of a source for one or have one they would loan-sell for the Z134 motor?

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 50 two stage clutch tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know what you are going to do with a 2 stage clutch without the pair of 2 stage splines into the live pto/live hydraulic 'arsend'. Do you have a live pto back half?
If not, you only have the one spline, and a 60's to 80's Chevy/GMC pickup pilot aligning tool is all you need. If a friend doesn't have one, the plastic ones are only a few bucks. Your flywheel is ready for the 2 stage? Singles are machines much differently. To push against the springs I keep a set of ? forgot? 5/16's? carriage bolts and extra nuts to torque the springs down till the aligning tool has done its job.
The pic has the autozone tool customized with ducktape that seems to get the 2 clutch plates centered

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 50 two stage clutch tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK. so NOW I re-read it.... you do have a live pto 'arsend'. An MF50 right? The good engine came off an industrial or? Like I said, go to use your old flywheel, not the one that came with the new engine. You can use your collection of pilot aligning tools, find the pilot tip that fits the OLD flywheel, the pto clutch spline digs into the duct tape, the drive clutch plate can just sqeeze into the tape you wrap around your $15 tool. Two splines require patience, hey search the archives here and Harry F forums, the were many clutch jobs just this spring, lots of info to dig up there.

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: MF 50 two stage clutch tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tony in Mass. wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:13:25 07/18/13) Two splines require patience, hey search the archives here and Harry F forums, the were many clutch jobs just this spring, lots of info to dig up there.

Uff da..........you can say that again! Even with the incorrect tool which I purchased from this site (wrong spline count) I was able to get my dual clutch set close enough to get it back together. Having said that, I am just ordering the parts to finish the job so I can't report on how it works.

wratchet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: MF 50 two stage clutch tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK I did change flywheel but thought the old hotrod pilot tool was not the answer. A few more pushed and maybe but then..--may have to try some duct tape. On it again today --lets see what happens? Thanks all

wratchet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: MF 50 two stage clutch tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I have the live pto...etc..

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: MF 50 two stage clutch tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The IT repair manual shows the dimensions for the pilot tool. A friend with a wood lathe made one for me from a piece of hardwood. I made the T-bolts and the gauge for setting the clutch fingers myself.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.