Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 4cyl water pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OliverNate
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: 99 4cyl water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

need to rebuild the water pump for my 1947 oliver 99 4 cyl. and i'm turning up nothing for parts search i've seen some people have machined there pumps to accept a modern seal so if someone has part numbers for that then i have a plan b

the rubber part of the seal has S.C. CO. 19867X (what looks like an upside down SMV) 70 PAT. 2027505 on it there is also a metal sleave part of the seal that the carbon disc rides against its just still in the pump body yet

any help is greatly appreciated cause this is the last part of the puzzle I'll include a pretty much finished photo as well

oliver90owner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 99 4cyl water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are simpe tech, not high tech.

When I did mine, I used an electric motor brush (turned for the graphite seal), the seat in the pump body was serviceable (didn't even need dressing at all) and the cover was an electrical conduit waterproof sealing entry cap, likely clamped with a cable tie for extra security/sealing. Still going, around twenty five years later.

RAB

OliverNate
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 99 4cyl water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'm sorry but could you elaborate a bit more? i'm to typical farm boy and i'm having a hard time pictureing it. the entry cap i'm assuming you drilled center out for shaft to go through and it buts up against the motor brush, what kind of motor brush did you use cause far as i knew motor brushes were shaped just like a key way, and then i take it you didn't use the spring and cup that holds the rubber seal and used zip tie instead? again i'm sorry and really appreciate the help

oliver90owner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 99 4cyl water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is over twenty five years ago, so I don't remember exactly. There was no internet fora back then to help, no known spares in the UK and it leaked!

Someone at work (I left that place in '8Cool machined the new graphite seal from a "huge" motor brush (talking here perhaps 1/2 megawatt motors - or more - could have been the donor) although it may have been a softer grade DC brush. I just cannot remember.

Most parts were re-used - the spring is there to maintain contact pressure on the sealing ring? The brush may well have been a worn out item, or a no-longer used item or even a new one - can't remember. I do know I have a couple of suitable brushes somewhere if I ever need to make another seal - just not rightly sure where, after all this time.

The waterproofing cap was a simple flexible cover/boot that fitted over a conduit pipe and the end was snipped off according to the size of the in-going electrical cable. I just used whatever was to hand at the time to get over the problem of a long-obsolete American made tractor in the UK.

It was a simple-tech solution to the current problem at that time. I worked at a large cement works and did have access to help and assistance for 'projects'.

Sorry but can't be any more help than that. I simply had a problem and worked around it the best way I could.

I do know I also replaced the phosphor bronze oil permeable bearings with sintered ones (leaks rather more oil through to the shaft than originally, I think) and the fan shaft may or may not have been machined very slightly to get over some pitting issues.

As I recall the back sides of the original fan shaft bearings were totally chock-a-block with solids which almost certainly were the cause of the bearing wear found and so the reason for the wear on the seal.

RAB

OliverNate
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 99 4cyl water pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you for the help, yes spring its to keep pressure i've been trying to figure out other alternatives and just haven't come up with much or having concerns if my idea will last

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.