Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wheres my gears? massey 135 sheared shaft?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipelagger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: wheres my gears? massey 135 sheared shaft? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have looked through the service bible from jensales and the I&T, and operators manual,but no troubleshoot for this. I just filled my steering and hydrualic reservoir(but not mulitshift) i was have a time getting over dirt then i wnet to change gears and nothing! not the clutch as I can go through every gear combination and nothing.. I dont know if a linkage came loose or if i sheared a key on mainshaft. What i do know is that when it disappeared i had the clutch in and turned ignition off and the sound was like yhe ball spinning round the roulette wheel

Masseynut(Australia)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: wheres my gears? massey 135 sheared shaft? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At a guess, I'd say you have either sheared the drive coupling between the gearbox output shaft and pinion, or torn the centre out of the main drive clutch plate.
Depending on the configuration of your tractor, you can access the shear tube by removing the PTO shift cover, or the hydraulic lift(hitch) cover.
If the plate hub rivets have sheared, you will need to separate the tractor at the clutch bell-housing.

chuck41
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: wheres my gears? massey 135 sheared shaft? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, If the drive coupler is sheared, you only
need to go thru the side round cover. The coupler
goes over a short shaft which will slide into
the coupler and right out the side. Lot's of work
has been done for nothing over this issue. Chuck

pipelagger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: wheres my gears? massey 135 sheared shaft? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you both so much for answering. I am new at tractors. It took me going over the I&T and part book just to find the timing hole. I was pretty upset that i paid $70 to jensales for service manual and it had NOTHING on my gas 4cylinder continental! I have a backhoe and frontloader. this model was painted yellow guess it was industrail issue but its a 68 tractor and the loader backhoe like 72. do i have to disconnect backhoe to get to? there is the main gearbox body and their is the differential body. when you mnetion PTO is that in the trans housing or differential? I am going to look at manuals over again to find the exact names you listed. Is there any seals/ bearings/gaskets i will need to replace if its the simple problem? IT does seem as it both the range and gear simutaneously came off becuase ther is no grab or grinding as i go in and out of range or gears, running or not. clutch in or notwhen my frined said sheared mainshaft I thought that was odd as I would expect a big crash or THUD THUD. but the only soud I heard as I turned off wiht chuthc depressed was the whirring of the roulette wheel

pipelagger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: wheres my gears? massey 135 sheared shaft? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I FORGOT to add: for the time i have had the tractor and it HAS got worse, it I dont have the RPMS low i get the "grinding" of gears going into forward or reverse, and sometimes when shifting gears. I also cant figure out why it seems as if brakes are on but they are not when i get out of gear.unlike a car i lose all momentum when i dropthe clutch to go to higher gear and basically have to ease the cltuch and lsiten to the engine sound lie its going to die if i attempt to use the high gears/maybe that has to do wiht the farm tire paddles, but if that helps. though i should mention it. MY hair stands on end every time i shift f/r if i manage not to cuss a storm! thanks!

MKinON
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: wheres my gears? massey 135 sheared shaft? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your PTO lever is likely at your left heel when sitting in tractor seat
and on the right side at your right heel should be another round
plate with a dipstick in it. If so, drain oil to bottom bolt hole and
remove that cover to see inside and access coupling. Maybe you
have to remove a backhoe brace to get at it better?

pipelagger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: wheres my gears? massey 135 sheared shaft? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks, thats what i was looking for as there is TWO plates the other being draft control or something else i dont use. unluckily for me the guy who sold it to the guy before me included type 2 control arms instead of type 1 so i cant use the PTO. Once again i went all the way to Indiana for work from washington and forgot to put an ad on craigsist for trade before i left the job carting those heavy arms in the bed of my pickup.
My transmission case serial# is 894682 m2 if that determines single or dual cluthc. the parts manual only says "early" or "late" production instead of a serial # determination. I would guess its late as the manual is 7/68 and this i believe is a 68

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.