Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

naa positive ground

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r songer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1954 naa with the negative side of the battery fastened to a bolt holding the battery box to the tractor. I have to jump the tractor to start it. Once started, it runs fine. How do I go about eliminating things to see what is wrong [battery,generator,pos or neg ground]? I would like to buy a 12 volt alternator kit and change it over eventually but for now I just need to be able to use it. Thanks for any help.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It came from the factory with positive ground.Half the cars and trucks built in 1940 had positive ground.We have a bunch of dummies who dont know this.Fix the 6 volt system and forget the 12 v BS.My 640 has been running fine on 6 volts for the 27 years I had it.Why are you jumping the battery?

r songer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

why is this tractor able to run with this hooked up like this? is this screwing something else up?my battery won't stay charged. took the battery to advance auto ----they said it was no good but he also said their machine can't check a 6 volt battery. bought a volt meter to check generator once I get it started again.thank you for the help

TimPa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you do some searching you will find an electrical diagram for you naa that will help understand what you are looking at. it was a wire from + to ground. then from - to solenoid post. do you have that?

r songer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the positive side of my battery is going to the solenoid the negative is going to a bolt holding the battery box to the cast iron of the tractor

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

r songer wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:36:10 07/21/13) the positive side of my battery is going to the solenoid the negative is going to a bolt holding the battery box to the cast iron of the tractor

That's backwards . . . if it still has the factory 6 volt system.

Texas!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor doesn't care whether you have the battery hooked up with Positive or Negative ground. The only thing that cares is the generator. If you want to change it from Positive ground to Negative you have to polarize it that way.

Teakettle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My advice (and you'll likely get the same advice from others here) is to keep the NAA 6V, positive ground. Put a good 6V battery in there in the proper orientation, and if the generator isn't charging it, the likely culprit is the voltage regulator. How bad is the wiring? Wiring harnesses for these machines are pretty cheap, and if things look as if there have been a bunch of piecemeal repairs it may be a good idea to rewire from scratch.

r songer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so if I get a new 6 volt battery put it in with positive ground I'll should be ok. With the battery in backwards ,that would cause it not to charge? And then leave the tractor at 6 volt and change to 12 volt ever?

r songer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the help.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: naa positive ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy a hydrometer, costs 89 cents to 4.00 bucks.I am amazed by posters who cant read a dash ammeter or hydrometer.He said the battery was no good but said the machine cant test a 6 volt battery.Aint logical.Time to hit the books and study what you are working on.We are producing a bunch of diddlers who dont own tools or even work on machinery.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.