Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F150 with 5.4 engine and auto trans.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S/C BOB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: F150 with 5.4 engine and auto trans. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I m looking at a 04 PU and thought I d ask for info on towing cap. I d not go over 8000 max trailer and load. Fuel milage and dependablity. Any help will be appreciated.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: F150 with 5.4 engine and auto trans. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2-valve 4.6 L, 5.4 L, and 6.8 L engines found in many 19972008 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles have an issue with stripped or missing spark plug threads in the cylinder heads. Ford acknowledges this issue in TSB 07-21-2 as well as earlier TSBs. Ford's TSB does not state that this issue is caused by owner neglect. Ford's only authorized repair procedure for out-of-warranty vehicles is to use the LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum insert and tool kit. For vehicles under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Ford will only cover the replacement of the entire cylinder head; however, the Ford recommended spark plug service interval extends beyond the duration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.[57]

3-valve 5.4 L and 6.8 L engines built before 10/9/07 and 3-valve 4.6 Ls built before 11/30/07 found in many 20042008 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles have an issue with difficult to remove spark plugs which can cause part of the spark plug to become seized in the cylinder head. The source of the problem is a unique plug design that is made with a 2-piece shell, which often separates, leaving the lower portion of the spark plug stuck deep in the engine. Ford acknowledges this issue in TSB 08-7-6 as well as earlier TSBs. Ford's TSB does not state that this issue is caused by owner neglect. The TSB provides a special procedure for spark plug removal on these engines. For situations where the spark plug has broken in the head, Ford distributes multiple special tools for removing the seized portion of the plug. The multiple procedures required for the different cases/situations of plugs seized in these engines are explained in the TSB. This repair is covered for vehicles under warranty; however, the Ford recommended spark plug service interval extends beyond the duration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.[58]

Federal-Mogul, parent company of Champion Spark Plug, and Brisk Silver Racing have introduced a 1-piece machined shell 3-valve spark plugs that addresses the OEM 2-piece spark plug's separation issues.[59][60]

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: F150 with 5.4 engine and auto trans. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good reason to avoid buying 1997 to 2008 Ford products.It seems to take Ford 10 years to fix their screwups.I have a 1996 F150 and hope to keep it for a long time.Road salt is a problem here.

NEBeef
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: F150 with 5.4 engine and auto trans. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

S/C Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:40:49 07/25/13) I m looking at a 04 PU and thought I d ask for info on towing cap. I d not go over 8000 max trailer and load. Fuel milage and dependablity. Any help will be appreciated.

Feeling a little crazy this morning so I thought I'd actually try to answer the OP's question...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2004/2004_f150_7.html

cbrown9064
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: F150 with 5.4 engine and auto trans. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this a 3 valve (think 04s were)? The ask if the cam phasers (vct solenoids) have been replaced. These control the variable cam timing. If they have not been replaced you are looking at a $800-900 job. Just had it done on my 06 Expy.

Like others said on the spark plugs, they can be a b****. They are also expensive at like $50 each from the Ford dealer. They are good for 100k.

It all boils down to maintenance. If it has been well maintained with service records, then that is good. If not, just adjust the price accordingly.

As a FYI, 100k service and cam phasers were $1800 on my Expy. That included spark plugs, coolant flush, trans, diffs (front, rear, center) oil change, etc...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.