Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two questions about this 1945 Farmall A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrmartin1964
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Two questions about this 1945 Farmall A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to its serial number, my Farmall A was manufactured in 1945, and so I would have expected it to have casting codes ending with "O" on the iron components. Quite the contrary, there does not appear to be a single casting code on it anywhere. And instead of an IH H-4 magneto, it has an American Bosch MRD-4A302. Is the lack of casting codes common/typical/normal for a Farmall manufactured in 1945, and could the AB magneto have been a factory option?

BTW, I used my 1947 A for comparison, so I'm fairly certain I have been looking in the right areas for the casting codes.

Thanks
Jim

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions about this 1945 Farmall A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes there just arent any codes ive never read why. The mag has been changed cause it would have left with an I-H mag. Old tractors have had many things changed from original and who could know just why.

Wm. Ecccles - Jardine
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions about this 1945 Farmall A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim according to what I see in your picture you have a supper A not just a straight a now that may or may not make a small difference. I like the definition the first gentleman gave as to why the codes. Some times I wish we could pick the brains of the original owners or the mechanics or the plant workers or leaders. I guess we just have to so called, fly by the seat of our pants and use all the information others will have and keep it on file for later generations. I am in the slow process of rebuilding a a B Bn series and my, father is gone, and so I also have to rely on others information also ; thankfully I might add.
Wm.

jrmartin1964
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions about this 1945 Farmall A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gene bender wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:13:07 07/27/13) The mag has been changed cause it would have left with an I-H mag.

I've spent a fair amount of time since my original posting scouring of the internet, and I turned up information that American Bosch supplied the MRD-4A302 magnetos to International Harvester, which was used on U-1, U-2, U-4, and U-6 power units, I-4 and I-6 industrials, and T-6 crawlers. So perhaps my mag was 'borrowed' off of one of those sometime in its past.

Wm. Ecccles - Jardine wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:27:27 07/27/13) Jim according to what I see in your picture you have a supper A not just a straight a

It's probably the angle of the photo, but I can assure you it is definitely an A. No hydraulics, just a plain ol' A. The rockshaft for hand lift and the battery box kind of make the space under and to the rear of the gas tank look like it's filled in with a Touch-Control.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions about this 1945 Farmall A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dont see very many with the rod going back to the rear tooling from the lift levers usually had a lever on the drivers platform for the rears.

jrmartin1964
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Two questions about this 1945 Farmall A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the time I came to own this tractor the lift had been subjected to a previous owner's ingenuity and a cutting torch, and had been converted to hydraulic operation with the addition of a power steering pump scabbed onto the generator bracket and a cylinder attached to what remained of the operating levers. I located most of another lift (which had also had an encounter with a torch), of the same type at a salvage yard which had the levers and counterbalance springs and some other parts that I needed. The latching rods, however, I had to fabricate. A buddy of mine had a copy of the manual for this particular lift, and that was a great help in getting it all back together correctly.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.