Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Acid Damage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Schrier
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been doing some preventative painting on the 8N. Not to make her a trailer queen but I would like to do my part in preserving her for another 64 years.

The battery tray is pretty much toast and here is a picture of the damage to the cast iron below it. I don't plan on tearing it down any further, so my thinking is to apply some naval jelly and then spray it with rusty metal primer and finish paint.

Just wondering if anyone else has a better method for cleaning this up.

Thanks,

Mark

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want to smooth it out a little, after neutralizing the acid and removing the rust, mix up some JB Weld and smear it over the rough area with a body putty spreader.

If you want to maintain some sand-cast iron look, press some coarse sandpaper against the JW Weld as it is firming up.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Nephew has used OSPHO on rusty stuff. Available at Ace Hardware..H showed me where he had used it on a gooseneck trailer.. Looked like rust had never been there..Said he has seen it used and not even paint over it and it has lasted for years..Of course after application of whatever rust killer you choose, yours will need some filling like Bob mentioned.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the result of over charging.Keep the charge under 10 amps.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give the area a bath with soapy water, rinse, let dry and apply paint of your choice. We are not walking down the runway scantily clad ! Yipes !!

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just used a angle grinder with a wire brush ,
cleaned it up and repainted with a thick coat of
paint.

Stan
9N 222933
2N with 8N motor 8N345567
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have said, naval jelly or whatever rust killer, to avoid painting over rust, they are all phosphoric acid based. Rust can hide in a very small rust pit and then become very active, though unseen, especially under a thick coat of paint.

Mark Schrier
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ended up wire wheeling it and applying good old naval jelly. With a little primer and paint, it should be good to go.

I'm wondering about the reason this happens. As 36 Coupe pointed out overcharging the battery can be a culprit. Is there any way to correct the charging system? It is a '49 8N-194800.

Thanks,
Mark

Tim Daley(MI)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Damage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can neutralize the acid with a water and baking
soda mixture. Once you have bare metal and before
painting, use a Permatex product called EXTEND which
will convert red oxide to black oxide and prevent
any further rusting.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.