Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Push button or roll pin ORC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylemorley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is a push button ORC worth the extra $30-$40 over the roll pin kind?

I'm leaning towards a push button since they look a lot more substantial but hard to say since they only seem to exist on eBay and at Agri Supply, so there is no way to actually examine one prior to buying.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kylemorley wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:16:31 07/27/13) Is a push button ORC worth the extra $30-$40 over the roll pin kind?

I'm leaning towards a push button since they look a lot more substantial but hard to say since they only seem to exist on eBay and at Agri Supply, so there is no way to actually examine one prior to buying.
Not to me. I install one once per mowing season & remove it once per season. Push-button types are also more mass hanging off the PTO to add slop & wobble rather than having mass actually up on the shaft. I guess they are for somebody though?

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put em on and leave them on so roll pin is fine. Anyone having a need to remove em on a regular basis, the answer would be yes for me--well worth the $30-$40 extra. Bottom line-it depends on how often u need to remove the orc for whatever reason..I have never taken mine off .

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I preferred the push pin type. No messing around with grease zerks and roll pins to install or remove it.
The only time I used an ORC was with the rotary cutter.
Didn't need one for finish mowing or post hole digger work.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:50:59 07/27/13) I preferred the push pin type. No messing around with grease zerks and roll pins to install or remove it.
The only time I used an ORC was with the rotary cutter.
Didn't need one for finish mowing or post hole digger work.
True, Jerry, didn't need it, but could have saved yourself some work, by realizing that it would have not hurt a thing & offered no advantage by removing it.

Last edited by JMOR on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
howdy1960
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put on at start of mowing season off for winter so roll pin type on Sadie

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About only reason to remove an ORC is an implement that contacts it when lifted.....not common.

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have three 8Ns. None of them have the notch in the PTO shaft necessary to use the push button type ORC but all three have the hole for using the roll pin. Check your tractor should you decide to buy the push button type.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had to cut the pto shaft shorter on the brush mower so it would
work with the ORC.
When I upgraded to a newer tractor I had to replace the front half of
the pto shaft because without the orc it was too short.
I was glad I hadn't cut the shafts on the phd and finish mower.
Removing the orc is the only way to use the pto cover too.
On an N where you have to have the pto engaged to use the lift
I just thought it was safer to have the pto cover on and the push pin style made it easier to do so.

Last edited by Ultradog MN on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Safety is the reason my ORC comes off after hay season and the cover goes back on... The roll pin isn't a hassle to deal with twice a year...

es

mbramble
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never take the ORC off. The only implement I have that uses the PTO is my brush mower. And, since I have TOH's Hokie Hydraulics kit, the only time I have to turn on the PTO is when I need the PTO. So it's not spinning whenever I use the lift for other implements...... Live hydraulics is great!!!

kylemorley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Push button or roll pin ORC? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I notice some vendors are selling them with one of those pins which
have the semi circular retaining spring, in addition to the zerks and rollpin, so one can remove and
install it without wrenching.

Seems like a bad idea as it would let water into the innards, but I
suspect it can get in easily enough elsewhere.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters