Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wm.Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an 8n with front mount coil, I have switched it over to the round coil. When I try to start it all I get is clicking. I have charged battery, I have 12v to stater, took starter off not stuck in flywheel and cleaned mounting surface. Still just clicks. I replaced the brushes about 6 months ago in starter. Any other ideas on what to check?

Thanks
Mike

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure its in neutral, then jumper from large post to large post of the
solenoid with one lead of a pair of jumper cables. Does it roll over then?
You could also try jumping it by hooking a 12V battery to the
frame and to the starter post to see if it will roll over.
Either way bypasses the neutral safety switch, so again, neutral.
If that doesn't make sense, please ask. Better safe than sorry.

BillM (OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Royce sez, try jumping it - starter lug with one lead and
ground the other somewhere handy - I use the footplate -
MAKE SURE IT'S IN NEUTRAL! If that works, clean all battery
cables bright and tight. Solenoid clicking usually means it's
not seeing battery volts or it's nfg.

Ken N Tx
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BillM (OH) wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:57:24 08/22/13) As Royce sez, try jumping it - starter lug with one lead and
ground the other somewhere handy - I use the footplate -
MAKE SURE IT'S IN NEUTRAL! If that works, clean all battery
cables bright and tight. Solenoid clicking usually means it's
not seeing battery volts or it's nfg.

Its aslo good to block down the clutch pedal..

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have said, with it out of gear jumper
across the solenoid. I have had a problem with two
8N solenoids not working on 12 volt conversions.
When I opened the non working solenoids I found the
contacts pitted and burnt. However, I have 8N
solenoids on two other 12 volt tractors that have
worked for years without a problem.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what's a VOM on the bat say when trying to start?

Wm.Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have jumped around solenoid but still nothing. Voltage is coming thru solenoid shows 12v at stater lug when button is pushed. Have not checked voltage of battery when button is pushed.

Mike

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wm.Mike wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:59:02 08/24/13)
I have jumped around solenoid but still nothing. Voltage is coming thru solenoid shows 12v at stater lug when button is pushed. Have not checked voltage of battery when button is pushed.

Mike
Pretty much puts the problem in the starter. Look inside for broken connection at power stud, bruch connections, springs, burnt windings, etc.

Wm.Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced the brushes about 6 months ago. Anyone have any luck with having theses things rebuilt?

Mike

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What did you use for the solder joints? regular solder is too soft and will fail!

Wm.Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What kind should I use?

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used silver solder and a small torch! so far so good. problem iss the melting point of r egular solder is too low. starter getes pretty hot if cranking very long.

Wm.Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is what I thought I used, had to use a small butane torch.

Mike

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the solder joints are still good then that should not be your problem!
Good luck

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wm.Mike wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:34:09 08/24/13)Anyone have any luck with having theses things rebuilt?

Yes, we have a local starter shop here that does a good job.
They will also test them for free, as will most good car parts stores.
You can test them yourself with a battery out of the tractor.
But all you'll probably learn is whether or not it spins unless you
have a way to measure current draw when you hook it up.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.