Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsborn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 4020 diesel Synro Shift Serial #68387. Seems the clutch will not release. The tractor was working fine about 4 weeks ago and has been parked under a shelter. When I went to start it today it cranked up but I could not get it to go in gear. I had the clutch pedal pushed in but was grinding the gears like the clutch was not releasing.
Being me, I decided to put it in reverse and crank it to get it out of the shed and see if I could get the clutch to release. That worked fine until I needed to stop. With the clutch pedal all in the tractor keep pulling so I tried hitting the breaks and it just pulled harder. I killed the engine and put it in 1st gear and cranked it back up and drove it a bit with the clutch pedal pushed in and hitting the breaks no luck breaking it free.

Is there something I can look at or do short of splitting the tractor to free it? I know it probably needs a new clutch but was hoping I could wait a bit before I took on that project.

Any help would be great

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It also sounds like neutral switch is not working.

jsborn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don.t think it has one on it but that is the least of my problems Sad

D-
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it worked and then didn't after setting;
1 Clutch disk stuck.
If just coincidental:
1 Pilot bearing froze.
2 Finger adjusting bolt broken.
3 Clutch facing coming off and stacking.
4 Throw out bearing cut off fingers. You should have heard that and be able to feel no resistance when pushing the pedal.
You can remove the cover underneath to view the fingers and adjusting bolt.

keith in mo
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have you checked the clutch pedal for free travel to make sure the clutch is disengaging fully

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto what D- stated.

Resting Relics 1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey js,
The best way to break a clutch free if it is indeed "frozen" from sitting is to go somewhere away from anything or anyone you could hit and getting it moving in as high a gear as you can and with your foot holding down the clutch hit first right and then left brakes really quick. Just a quick hard hit works the best and as high a gear as you can. Be sure to have the clutch pedal down. This can be dangerous so be very careful. I've been quite successful getting clutches unstuck doing this over the years. If this doesn't work your doing a clutch job. Good Luck! John

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another method to get stuck clutch to release is block clutch pedal down and crank engine,let engine run until reaching operating temp.

jsborn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do any of you have any good sources for rebuilt clutch assembles?

I think that is going to be my best fix.

Any reputable parts sources would be appreciated.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi-capacity or A&I or YT tractors(top LH corner of this page)

jsborn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:19:42 08/25/13)
Hi-capacity or A&I or YT tractors(top LH corner of this page)

Thanks Jim

Now for more questions:

When I take all the hydraulic lines loose how much fluid will I loose and when I reconnect them what will be needed to purge the air ?

Is there any other tips or things I need to look for when making the split and re-assembly?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's been since '87 since I've witnessed a tractor being split but IIRC not much oil will be lost. Upon reassembly just operate the hyd's to purge the air out. Do not force the 2 halves back together.Be sure to turn flywheel(to engage clutch splines) by means of a bar through timing window hole at flywheel. Cut the heads off 2 long bolts the correct size to use as guide to line up engine & clutch housing.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a 4020 is one of the easiest tractors to split,if
it's a narrow front end you should get a set of
splitting stands some where, if it's a wide front
wedge a couple 2X4's between the front frame and
the axle to keep the front end from rocking, put a
floor jack under the rear as close to the split
area that you can,remove the hood and cowl,steer
lines, pressure and return lines I un-hook all the
wires forward to the Gen &fuel sender and lay them
back over the cowl,6 oil pan bolts (3/4" wrench),6
bell housing bolts 1 1/8" wrench) water sender
(don't forget this one) look it over as you go
apart, you will loose a gallon of oil here and
there , just enough to mess up the floor....

jsborn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D- wrote:
If it worked and then didn't after setting;
1 Clutch disk stuck.
If just coincidental:
1 Pilot bearing froze.
2 Finger adjusting bolt broken.
3 Clutch facing coming off and stacking.
4 Throw out bearing cut off fingers. You should have heard that and be able to feel no resistance when pushing the pedal.
You can remove the cover underneath to view the fingers and adjusting bolt.

Well I got the tractor in the shed and pulled to inspection cover off.
The clutch is stuck solid.
Finger bolts all ok
Throw out bearing and fingers still look good and are working.
That only leaves 1 and 3 above both of which require splitting the tractor.

I am going to fab some splitting stands and will start the work as soon as I can. What would be a good guess as to how much weight the stands need to be able to support when tractor is split?

Thanks for all the help so far and please be on the lookout for more questions as I proceed.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Synro Shift Clutch will not release Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before I split the tractor I'd block clutch pedal dow,start engine and get it up to operating temp and see if clutch disk would free up. If that didn't work then I would get it out in the open,safely get it started in a forward gear and stomp the brake pedals independently to see if clutch would break free

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.