Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A PATHETIC state of affairs...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had to bring my 4020 gasser "Ingrid" out of summer vacation mode to retrieve this 2320 windrower that was "dead in the water" due to operator error (failure to put more than a quart of oil in after an oil change).

Dang near a 20-mile round trip, and now WHAT do I do with a locked-up Chrysler slant 6?

WHAT would TimS do???

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They're good engines, but you've got to keep oil in them. I sure wish we could make a second cutting of hay this year, but it's just been too dry.
Butch

Lee B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can almost guarantee that he would have put in the other four quarts.

A little late now though. You could go thru the bottom end in a hurry.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should be able to find another used engine to stick in there.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may be hard to find an old slant 6 (Leaning tower of power:) most of them have been junked, and it's been a long time since they quit making them. I had a 4440 in here a few years ago that the old guy forgot to tighten the oil plug in after changing oil, he was puttering around getting equipment out when it came out, it locked up at mid idle... I pulled the crank, had to peal a couple bearings off the crank, took it to the crank shop and it polished up, the babbit was sorta sricking to the crank and it all ploished off nice,, I was amazed,,and pleased,,O/Hed the engine and it's still running fine,,maybe you will be that lucky....

Farnorth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure if the slant six from a JD Model 800 swather will fit right in, but lots of that model swather for sale in North Dakota for under $1000.00 (for the whole swather).

Husker44A
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, check eBay and Craig's list for a Car or Truck that has the Leaning Tower Of Power. Swap the needed essentials and Go !!! There should be some vehicles laying around that the farmer parked it in the weeds. I just picked up a JD 800 swather with the same engine. Sat outside and was locked up. It wasn't locked that tight. Pulled the plugs and dumped oil down the cylinders started working it back and forth. Finally she freed up and have swathed forty acres with out any problems. I wonder if a 318 or 360 would fit too ??? Good luck.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would take the engine apart. You may just need to polish the crank and install new bearings. One son had an old Dodge Dart with the slant six in it. The oil pump drive sheared one cold morning. HE was letting the car run and warm up. It locked up tight. We pulled the motor. The connecting rod where not even hurt and the crank had the old bearings stuck to them. I scraped the old lead/babbit off the journal and took emery cloth on a flat file to work the high spots off. I then just polished them with the cloth wrapped around like normal. Put the engine back together with new bearing and new oil pump. Ran fine. The son drove it all through collage. HE sold it to another guy that drove it for years to work.

nylon4020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I let my 1976 dodge van go to scrappers two years ago. I had wanted to restore it but it turned into too much of a mouse house and I am just too busy. It had a 225 slant 6 with three in the tree. Loved that van. Had one fellow that I would have given the engine to but he never showed up.

tommy_harrell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A PATHETIC state of affairs... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Find a Massey guy, lots and lots of slant 6 powered 300 combines hidden around the country.

Tommy

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.