Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Txphantom
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a 52 8n that had been restored. They had installed a new proofmeter, but the new OEM cable was still in a box of extra parts that can with the tractor. Anyhow, I hooked up the new cable to the new tach and with the engine at an idle, it is show it running at 1850 rpm's. It will peg out if I go full throttle. Do I hve a bad proofmeter?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
Maybe bad proofmeter, maybe the wrong one?
What does it say on the face? Can you post a pic?

Txphantom
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mr, Royse,

Here are pictures of the new one and the old one. They look the same to me. I"m stumped!

Dave

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not uncommon to have them bad right out of the box. I picked up five gage/tach clusters at a going out of business sale a couple of years ago.
All of them had just a couple of hours on them (or less) and the word defective written on the back.
I mixed and matched pieces from them and made a couple of them work.

1951 8N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Txphantom wrote:
Mr, Royse,

Here are pictures of the new one and the old one. They look the same to me. I"m stumped!

Dave

Does the original one still work? What are you going to do with the original one? Thanks

Last edited by 1951 8N on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Txphantom
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No sir it does not. The fella I bought the tractor from said he had broken two new tach cables with the old one before he bought a new one. He didn't get the new one hooked up before I bought it. All I did was install the new cable and it is all messed up. I don't see any way of adjusting the face of the gage. I'm betting I have a bad one.

Dave

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks to be the correct replacement for the 4 speed trans.
The cable is a spring cable, can cause fluctuations, but I don't
see how it would cause a faster than the engine RPM reading.
On the other hand, I don't want to tell you to buy new without knowing.
Any chance you have a friend/neighbor with an 8N that you can
hook your proofmeter up to as a test? Or vice-versa?

Bradiniowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would be very interested in how you solve this problem. My new to me 8n does the same. Figure it tallies at least double the actual hours. The tach was newly installed before I got so don't know where it came from.

DollarBill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another example of cheaply made off shore parts - Not worth the trouble of repair. Roll the dice on a replacement.

NoNewParts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a bad run of imported proofmeters
a few years back.
I can't remember which country they came from.
Yours sounds like one of them.
almost full scale at idle, pegged at anything over idle.

Deal with a good vendor like our hosts, who you can talk to on the phone when ordering, tell them your concerns when ordering a new one.

Txphantom
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Proofmeter Out Of Whack! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm planning to call YTC in the morning and order a new one and see if that will fix the problem.

Dave

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.