Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do bad batteries bounce more?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is so funky I didn't know what to put in the subject line. Anyway, I received an email forward telling me a tired dry cell battery, in this case it's a AA size, will bounce a few times when dropped on it's bottom end and a fully charged one will land with a thud without bouncing. I've never heard of this. Maybe a bunch of you guys have, but not me.

So I tried it a few minutes ago. The two Duracell AA's alkys in my electric toothbrush died so I took them out, held them 2" above the desk and dropped them on their bottom ends one by one. Both of them bounced two or three times before coming to rest. Then I took two fresh Duracell AA's and dropped them the same way. The new ones lit with a thud and just fell over without bouncing. I did this over and again with the same results.

I know what the inside of a battery looks like but I'm not a chemist in any way. So what kind of an explanation can you experts give us? Density is probably at play here right? Jim

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cool!I'd never heard that either...I will have to
try it!

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got an email with this in it several days ago that had a YouTube link that showed this. I will admit that I've never tried it though.

RalphWD45
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Fixerupper! it works! I just couldn't resist trying it! The wife told me if I couldn't hold on to those batteries, to just leave them alone! Too much noise coming from the kitchen! I explained what I was trying to do, and she just shook her head and remarked that she hoped that the YT guys, didn't tell me that skunks were good to eat! New AA batteries hit the counter and fell over without bouncing. Used batteries bounced considerably. NOW! How many of you guys had to try it to see for yourselves? OH BY THE WAY Energiser batteries took off down the hallway, beating on a little drum.

Robert Major
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Ralphwd45

Skunks are good to eat L.O.L. I bet the Clampets on Red neck vacation, or Si & Phil Robertson on Duck dynasty have tried!
Sorry for the O.T Post somebody needed to say it.!
Regards Robert

Thomas(AB)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Live Battery went Thunk! waiting for the flashlight battery to finish dying then shall give that a try.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got the e-mail about 2 weeks ago, and tried it. And it worked,no idea why. Bruce

Davis SC

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But the jolt of falling, May kill the good ones...

Tech 7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow a Specific Gravity test for dry batteries!

Dr. Walt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just read the post(s), unbelievable, dangdest thing I've ever seen, couldn't resist trying it for myself.

I think "Tech 7" has it right.

Doc

farmerjohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do bad batteries bounce more? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just got the email too. Here is the link.
How to test a battery.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.