Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

red nose U puller

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.Genrich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought Id share a picture of the 1938 U we built this summer to run in the antique classes where 15.5 tire size is the limit. Its way under 400 cubes and is made of all used parts including the head gasket and rod and main bearings. There is around 2500 bucks invested and it will hold an honest 80hp. on the dyno at 535 rpm. It got a first, a second, and two third place trophys at the Iowa state fair last weekend with my 16 year old son doing the driving. We have hotter tractors but bang for the buck this one is the most fun.

molinegb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you sure it is a 1938 U? 1938 and early 1939 had air breather on rear of carb. The hood was also cut on rear to allow for aircleaner.

molinegb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also UTU's were not made in 1938

M.Genrich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cut the hole in the hood for the air cleaner pipe and I have the original air cleaner assy. and the s shaped air pipe. This is a pulling tractor not a restored original and I never said it was stock. Yes the carb faces the wrong way because its a larger zenith bolted to a M5 lp manifold. As for the age, the tag reads UTU 310510U. This tractor isn't correct and I never intended for it to be. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Dieselbear
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may be, but ser. # looks fishy to me. numbers i have sayes 1938 310026 to 310500 and 310626 to 310646. That's for UT series all versions

M.Genrich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A frend of mine found the tractor on an auction a couple hours north of me in Minnesota and sent me a few pictures of it before he bought it for me. For the sake of conversation I thought I would include the one of the pictures he sent me of the engine. The only other pics I have are of the grill and the mag side of the engine but this pretty well shows the original manifold and carb set up. It doesn't have a notch for the air cleaner in the hood??? Who knows???

molinegb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Serial tag doesn't look like any of my red nose U's. Original tags had MM in black. The UTU was not used in model number. It would be just a UT and the U following the serial identifies type.

jayson-ia
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He wasn't looking for all of the correct police to chime in, he was stating he made a fun tractor to pull with. I think it is great to have a competitive tractor to pull with minimal invested. The serial numbers state that 310026-310645 were 1938's. Give the guy a break and maybe he won't criticize everything you do in the future.

M.Genrich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im by no means a Moline expert but I do know this tractor didn't come to far from Hopkins Minn. Did I find a fairly rare tractor and made a puller out of it??? If so somebody please speak up because im about to put an lp tank on it off of a later split block utu. I still have the original engine. Its stuck, missing the governor and the manifold isn't good but at this point it isn't to late to turn back and restore it back to original. Also, this tractor didn't have a pto and has the original MM cover. No belt pulley, and the oil pan is cast in front of the screen for some sort of a wide front axil but isn't machined. It had cast iron center front wheels with removable rims. the rear main case has some barbs cast on it in front of the brakes that my later u doesn't have. The v pulleys are narrower than the later u,it goes like hell in high gear and has a different shift pattern than my late U. Did I accidently find something good???? Do tell1!

M.Genrich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks man!!

MM Book Worm

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That serial number (310510) falls into the UDLX series of numbers. You may want to do a little research on the history of that tractor.

M.Genrich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By god you right book worm. That's interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Its no UDLX but it goes down the road like one!

molinegb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you post original motor serial # ? Books show first UTU 1939 sn 310951 to 311150 in first batch. Second batch 311351-550. Total of only 400 made in 1939. A very collectibile tractor.In 1938 UDLX,UOPN and UTS shared the numbers 310001- 310646.

M.Genrich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the tag isn't in very good shape and I couldent get a good picture of it but I think Its #539273. Does that sound right?

molinegb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: red nose U puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 38 UTS. Serial number 310159 motor number 540203. Mine is one of the first ever made. Your motor may be a KTA motor. I'll do more research in AM.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.