Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Older Whirlpool gas dryer converted to propane. Ignitor cycles properly, (recently replaced with newer "M" style.). Ignitor sensor switching properly. Appears that valve is not opening when ignitor switches off. Sometimes gas comes on and burns for 30 seconds or so. Then goes back off.
I have one voltmeter across the ignitor sensor, and it is reading properly - Voltage when switch open (ignitor hot) - no votage when switch closed (ignitor cold). Volt meter on incoming wires to valve/ignitor/sensor is showing voltage, indicating that upline thermostats are conducting. This would mean the valve or the solonoids are not working properly? New soloniod coils run about $90, and I don"t want to know what the valve AND solonoid coils cost...

Any suggestions?

(Got a feeling this is going to cost me a NEW washer AND dryer before this all plays out.)

BARRY HOWARD
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like igniter not getting hot enough to ligth the gas
I said sounds like.

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say that the ignitor sensor is working, but does it go through a circuit board to hold the gas valve open? I'm wondering if what ever holds the gas valve open is not working.

Dusty

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sensor is normally closed - when ignitor is not lit. That's what keeps the solonoids energized to permit gas flow. That circuitry is either ingenious or devious, depending on how you look at it. Ignitor is essentially in parallel with soloniods, and open or closed regulates which is activated.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are two coils on the valve, one for lighting the burner and the other to keep it going once it's lit. The second one is probably bad. You replace them in pairs, and you should be able to get them for a lot less than ninety bucks.

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ignitor can LOOK good and still be off on resistance.

The fact that it lights off means the valves are opening.

Ohm the coils and the ignitor, but I would try another ignitor first.

Last edited by kevinj54 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kevin, help me to understand how the burner can light with a bad ignitor.

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: OT Any appliance repairmen on board? Gas Dryer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MarkB_MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:34:08 08/29/13) Kevin, help me to understand how the burner can light with a bad ignitor.

They sometimes will get hot enough to light off but not carry the proper resistance to maintain flame.

There is usually a timed flame proving which is why they light off but then drop out if the ignitor is bad.

They are often part of the flame safety circuit rather than a separate flame rod.

I have changed many over the years for this very reason, they work the same on furnaces, dryers, ovens, etc.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.