Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking questio?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,

I do some walking, usually 1.5 miles a day.
Any of you do a lot of walking? I just strap on my pedometer and read it at the end of the day.
To-day it reads 9810 feet; 1.82 miles, calories burned 162.4. I know I ate more then that.!

Guido.

Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wait til pheasant season opens. I walk a mile one direction and then turn around and walk a mile the other direction. And keep doing it til dark. Ellis

1970-1655
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before I retired, my office desk was on one end of the plant and the line was on the other. I would easily get 5 miles plus each day. And I loved it. Then some genius manager thought it would be better to move my group closer to the line. Then he was always whining because we were always late for his meetings. I still like to walk a lot each day but sometimes weather persuades me to cut back.

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found I do a lot more walking as I get older. It usually results from getting up, walking to another room to get something and when I get there I totally forgot why I did it. I then usually start the whole process over again. This happens more and more often so I get good exersize.

tomtirediron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm leaving in 2 weeks for Colorado Elk Muzzloading season. We do 2 miles horizontal and 1/2 mile verticle to spike camp with a weeks worth of provisions and clothing and guns on a pack. It's butt kicker. I've been trying to put on 2-3 miles a day and do 65lb pack work outs and stairs 3xs a week. At work this week watched contractor tight blade level bituminous road. There were some pretty tired young guys out there chasing belly dumps 6.5 miles each way dumping spreads 980' long a load. Too much running for this guy!

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Guido,

I mixed 21 wheelbarrow loads of concrete by hand yesterday afternoon, and about the same number two evenings before. There was some walking involved in wheeling each load to where it was needed, but honestly, it was mostly mixing and shoveling. My shoulders hurt all night both times. What does this have to do with what you asked? Not too much, I guess.

Stan

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I try to do at least 3 miles a few times a week, dedicated walk + normal daily walking. I have some back problems and it helps.

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guido, I walk 2 miles, 5 days every week (at about 6:00am) I do this in prox 34.5 to 36.5 minutes, on average. Occasionally if the Moon and Stars are in correct order 33.5 minutes! Personally for me it is the fact that one needs to get their heart rate up for 25 minutes to get in shape. Not the calories burned, Most of us as we get older get a more sedentary so a Regular Exercise Regime is more necessary than ever. My morning routine is not a leisurely stroll! I am marching it off is rapid order! This is what I do!
Later,
John A.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I so much as tried to walk that far #1 my doctor would get mad at me and #2 my right knee would go AWOL on me. Doctor say 100 yards take 5 minutes and rest and then maybe another 100 yards. Doctors says wear your knee brace if your going to be on your feet much and a cane

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Piker..."8^)

I'm 62, about to be 63. I have borderline high blood pressure (14x/8x) and DO NOT want to deal with BP meds and their side effects.

Part of my regimen to stay off BP meds includes 2 miles a day, 6 days a week @ 4mph on the treadmill. I should actually bump that up a notch as I don't even breathe hard at that rate any more. The idea is to get the heart rate up and keep it up for 20 minutes.

I wore a pedometer one day, and in addition to the 2 miles on the treadmill, I walked 6 miles just dubbing around the house and property.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last week on my annual bicycling and backpacking trip to the Adirondacks I walked 17 miles on one day, more than half of it with a loaded frame backpack. A normal day for me is quite a bit less than that, but I like to be able to do more without being sore the next day as a result.
Zach

Wile E
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife has one of those straps on her wrist, she trys to get 10,000 steps in everyday.
My wife also has a real nice tread mill that she inherited when her dad died 10 years ago.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brain would say. You can do it. My knees would say no we can't. I do most of my walking at night. Walk flush and walk back. Repeat as many times as needed.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Wile E,

I have a thread mill as well, mine is 20 years older then your wife one. It only gets used when weather is bad. It has not been bad in 10 years............................ HA! HA!

Guido.

ss55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Walking questio? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Walking and bicycling outside when the weather is good. In the winter I will cross country ski. I enjoy that much more than shoveling snow.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.