Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troy S. WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone know if CASE ever offered from factory a four- speed transmission on a C CASE tractor or is it a rare occurrence? I have found a 1936 C CASE that has a four- speed transmission w/ road gearing. Or can it possibly be a CI CASE tractor? I need to find out what model is this tractor and if anyone has found another one like this with a four- speed transmission. I am going to buy it, but need to know more info on this finding.

Brian in Ohio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it possible that it had a 4 speed from a later D series tractor swapped in later in it"s life?

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What does the serial # on the engine flange indicate, C or CI?

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"CI" tractors had the option of having a 4 speed trans

Troy S. WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will the "C" or "CI" be at the beginning or end of the serial # on the flange?

Troy S. WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was there any facial feature differences between a CI and a C CASE?

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At the beginning.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as you can see from these factory pics the "C" and "CI" are very similar, if it is a narrow tread "CI" you would see the difference right off, generally a "C" would have bigger wheels on it and a "CI" would look half scale compared to it but if you have no other "C" close by to look at it will be hard to be for sure, also I have heard that some people installed the forth gear into "C/CC" tractors after they changed them over to rubber from the original steel, the type of wheels it has tells a lot if it had plain steel and was changed to rubber it may not be that easy to ID sorry I am not more help the "C/CC" units are not my strong point I do know enough to get in to trouble or really confuse others, first two pics are of "CI" tractors the last is a "C" hope this helps some what, also I took these with my camera instead of scanning they are not the best quality
cnt

case 1939
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a lot of difference's. They offered a high and low plat form the high plat form started in about 1936. And that tractor had a foot clutch throttle on the steering column brakes in rear wheel hubs and the gas tank was two inches shorter. And the biggest difference was it was offered with starter and lights and the tractor had a inline generator.
My email is thebarnat363@yahoo.com
Phone is 937/538/0548
P.S. I have two CI CASE.

case 1939
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The CI also had a spring built in to the fount axel for a better ride.

Troy S. WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By being narrow tread, is it going to be a narrow base in the rear axle or front axle or both? There are two other "C" CASE's next to the four-speed one so I will have to look closer. Also when you say bigger tires on a "C" and smaller on a "CI", would you mean 28" vs. 24"? No you are helping me a lot, since I don't have any decent pics of a "CI" CASE or enough info to help me figure out this mystery tractor.

Troy S. WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With that information known, could you explain to me (if you can) where did the top cover come from with four numbers stamped into the shifter top cover and the shifter is of a C CASE and shifts like a C CASE? Someone told me it could of came from a D/DC CASE, but the shifter shifts different from a C CASE.

JohnDY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When we had issues with one of the tractors our dealer brought out a C with a four speed. My dad and uncle thought about buying it but I fought like h*** against it, had my heart set on a 48 DC cause I hated plowing with a C. Asked the mechanic how they put the 4 speed in the C and these are his words "The fourth gear is already there you just need a kit and the know-how to put it to use". As I felt the C was my least favorite tractor I didn't much care if it had 5 speeds. The CC with foot brakes was more handy and liked it better to work with.

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Starting in mid 1940 when they moved the D platform back down they used the same shifter and cover as the C but it had the 4 cast in the cover.

Troy S. WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE C series tractor w/ 4 speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same with this tractor as well the 4 is cast raised indention. So the cover may be from a D CASE then?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.