Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

B gas tank brazing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
35 chopper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our late model B has a hole rubbed in the gas tank it otherwise looks pretty solid. I tried brazing a couple of times but it still weeps. I used flux coated brazing rod. Any ideas/tricks? Thanks!

rick deere
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

quick steal will work and not leak if you clean area good and is much safer than brazing???????

pbb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My D started leaking around where the sediment bowl screws in. I took the tank off and turned it upside down and I sanded it real good then I put JB Weld on it. I put about 3 different layers over a couple of days. It's been on there over 4 years now and hasn't leaked yet. I tried that gas tank putty at Orileys that you can put on wet and it wouldn't stick at all. Give JB a try ,

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did same thing, cleaned it up good and used jbweld.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes when you Braze a gas tank you have trouble finding some one to help hold the tank....

pbb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I welded a 6 gallon Johnson outboard tank with a 115 volt wire welder. I washed it out serval times and had it full of water when I welded it. It was so thin I had to tack weld it and let it cool and keep tacking until it was sealed.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya but, it's only difficult 'cause it's 1/2 full !!! ;^)

Dave H
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used JB and it has b een over ten years now.

old popper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ROFLMAO.... About 40 years ago I was part timing in a small repair shop. A man came in with a gas tank off a lawn mower, and wanted me to weld the hole in it. I said "sure thing, you hold it, I'll weld it." He left, and bought a new tank.

old popper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When mine leaked, I had it soldered (by a pro). That has been 10 or 12 years ago. No leaks.

Vern H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

35 chopper,
You didn t mention a patch piece to overlay the hole. I ve had good luck using galvinized sheet metal and soft solder for this job. Clean and tin area and patch, and sweat it on with your propane torch. Do fill the tank with water first! Good luck, VH

rick deere
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

empty is more dangerous fumes is what goes bang

35 Chopper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put JB weld over the braze and it looks to be working. Thanks for all the input.

JDMan Wis.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: B gas tank brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can wire feed weld them or braze them all day long if you flush them out with water them take a hose from another welders gas tank co2 or argon an co2 run it in the tank to chase all the air out so you just have co2 coming out. It cant go bang with no fumes in it. Iv welded lots of tanks this way and patch them also.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters