Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Schreefer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New member. forgive me if I missed any discussions on this topic. I looked through the 20 pages but may have missed it:

I have a 9N, not sure of the year yet. 1939 - 1941. We just got it running with no oil pressure. Dropping the oil pan is next. It is being repaired to be sold. I'm wondering what the value is. I've seen running 9N tractors with some issues for around $2,000 and up to $6,000 for one that has nothing wrong and completely painted. Besides the value, is there any demand for this to be easily sold? We are considering repairing all mechanical issues and leaving it unpainted, or completely disassembling all components for painting. No pictures yet, but besides the worn appearance, it is in pretty good condition. If it had oil pressure when I started it, I would have had it in my field cutting grass the same day.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keith Schreefer wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:59:03 09/02/13) New member. forgive me if I missed any discussions on this topic. I looked through the 20 pages but may have missed it:

I have a 9N, not sure of the year yet. 1939 - 1941. We just got it running with no oil pressure. Dropping the oil pan is next. It is being repaired to be sold. I'm wondering what the value is. I've seen running 9N tractors with some issues for around $2,000 and up to $6,000 for one that has nothing wrong and completely painted. Besides the value, is there any demand for this to be easily sold? We are considering repairing all mechanical issues and leaving it unpainted, or completely disassembling all components for painting. No pictures yet, but besides the worn appearance, it is in pretty good condition. If it had oil pressure when I started it, I would have had it in my field cutting grass the same day.

Just a friendly word of warning - don't fool yourself. The world is full of 9N's very much as you describe and a typical 9N in "average" running condition sells for $1500 or less. Fixing up ragged-out N-series tractors for resale is a losing business. If it has good tires on it they are worth as much or more as the tractor. Get it running and put it on the market for $2500 - you'll see what I mean.

TOH

Keep her..John,PA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Build her a shelter in your backyard. After all, most serious collectors want to do everything themselves. So watch your investment.

Sutting grass is always in need of a cheap tractor.

NO OIL PRESS? Try priming the oil pump, FIRST.

Heavy oil. TRANNY oil will do. EVEN GREASE.

HTH John,PA

Testing..John,PA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice Calendar PICTURES, COPYWRITED.

Del Huebner
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can tell you from experience. The more you put into it the more you are going to lose.

schreefer53
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not selling to make money, nor in the restoration business for profit. It's just being sold for my neighbor who wants it out of the way. I'm just wondering how far to go with it before trying to sell it. I have enough equipment of my own to keep me busy, otherwise I'd love to keep it for myself. Thank you for the info. I will try priming the pump before dropping the pan.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keith........a non-running 9N with NO OIL pressure, is worth about $500, running with OIL PRESS is worth about $1500. While PRIMING maybe necessary, I'd first change yer OIL PRESS GAUGE. ($10, cheap)

To prime, remove the BIG NUT behind the water pump. CAREFUL, It is SPRING LOADED. And yes, there is supposed to be a flat spot on the pressure relief piston. Pour about 1-cup of HEAVY oil down the hole. I use 90-wt outboard motor gearbox oil.

While normal oil pressure is spring relived at about 35-psi, many well worn engines can't make 20-psi and live quite well on low oil pressure. Unfortunately, the ONLY CURE for low oil pressure is an engine OVERHAUL. (parts $450, machine shop $1000)

Besides the issue of rusted sheetmetal repair; new paint job, $500. Rattlecan paint job $100. (tip: ALL 9N's came from the factory, GRAY) New ag-bar rear tires, $250-ea; Sherman aux tranny, $500-700.

So you see, it is eazy to squander $2000 to make a $1500 3-speed 9N sell. .......HTH, Dell

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL
Well said!

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I see it there are only two reasons to put serious money into a 9N/2N/8N.

First: You really love doing it.
Second: You plan to seriously use the tractor.

For me I met both criterion. My 8N mows my lawn every week. Well worth every penny I put into it, but I will never get my money out of it.

So I say do the very minimum to get it running and then sell it.

schreefer53
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is definitely no oil pressure. The fitting that supplies the gauge and oil filter at the block was disconnected and nothing was coming out. You could hear the the light clatter in the engine that is typical without oil pressure. I will try the oil pump priming advice first. All it looks like it's worth doing is getting the engine running properly and selling it in good running condition. It has good tires and everything else works. I'd keep it, but would rather dump my time into my 8N. That works every other weekend.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engine may be shot if it has no oil pressure.You cant get your money back fixing an old worn out tractor.Any one who has tried it will tell you so.I would go thru one for my own use but thats all.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A thought in case you decide to paint it, the tractor was originally all gray.
However, the average food plot planter doesn't know that.
Many think the gray is wrong and they think it's ugly.
So the 9N/2N sell better in my area painted red belly like the 8N.
I know the collectors and purists wouldn't like it that way, but
you said you're not trying to restore it to original, so they likely
wouldn't be your target buyers.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Naw,
Paint it Blue.
edit:
Hmmm, my little gif didn't work in classif view.

Last edited by Ultradog MN on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
W_B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kurt-NEPA wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:53:07 09/03/13) As I see it there are only two reasons to put serious money into a 9N/2N/8N.

First: You really love doing it.
Second: You plan to seriously use the tractor.

So I say do the very minimum to get it running and then sell it.

Absolutely agree with Kurt here. Put the money into it that you will get out of it in the work it can do for you. I'll probably have my 9N the rest of my life and may restore it someday as a hobby thing. You can buy it at my estate sale someday. In the mean time I keep it going to run a manure spreader that needs dumped once or twice a week. The 8N goes down the road when I get something more modern.

Do what you have to do to get it running and sell, if that's the plan. An oil pump isn't too bad a job, did it to the 9N in my garage over a weekend when it went to zero, keeps a steady 20 psi now. Doesn't see hard work anymore so that's good enough. The engine is worn enough that it isn't going to get better. Was able to get the pan off without removing the front axle, you may not be as lucky.

Let us know how you do with it.

Keith Schreefer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 9N repair/restore: what's best to be sold? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input John. I pulled the plug on the oil relief valve, pumped oil into it and reinstalled the plug. It had oil pressure immediately after starting. Ran at 35 psi warm and everything works on the tractor. Just needs a new battery and that should be all.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters