Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-53 DETROIT ?'S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIMAR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: 2-53 DETROIT ?'S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a 435. Engine has a new kit in it but starts hard and runs erratic. Have the Detroit manual but need to find a few tools like the gauge for the injectors and any helpfull advice. Overhauled several JD engines but this is the first Detroit setting the valves and fuel rack

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2-53 DETROIT ?'S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the "new" kit was an "S" series then the valves and seats were ground . It"s not going to start worth a darn even at 60F without using a block heater.
Which injectors are in the engine ?
Check the front axle for cracks and marks from tow chains . And the engine for signs of ether abuse.
Battery size , cable size and connection locations are important.
Not to brag but my 2-53 starts on the 2nd or 3rd turn at 32F.

EricB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2-53 DETROIT ?'S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the timing is too advanced it will be hard to start. If it's retarded you get easier starting but more sluggish performance. This is less noticeable in a tractor than in a truck with a 53 series. It is vital that the timing pin settings are done with real accuracy as inaccuracy will contribute to unevenness in the firing cycle. The same goes for setting the racks. If the injectors were not replaced when the inframe was done they should be, they are very reasonable to buy. I have found the "1470" timing pin to be the best all round performer in my Detriots. The "1484" (more retarded) makes for easier starts but "doggy" for response.

TIMAR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2-53 DETROIT ?'S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure on the series but I know the head was gone thru by a Detroit service shop. Mainly need to know where to find the special injector gauge tool

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2-53 DETROIT ?'S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DD or eBay .
I'm still suspicious of low compression pressure and slow cranking rpms .

TIMAR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2-53 DETROIT ?'S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure yet on compression, but I'm sure if the valves are set wrong the compression wiil be low. As far as cranking speed, I put a new JD 825 CA battery in it. It FRICKEN whirls it over.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2-53 DETROIT ?'S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TIMAR wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:56:56 09/03/13) Bought a 435. Engine has a new kit in it but starts hard and runs erratic. Have the Detroit manual but need to find a few tools like the gauge for the injectors and any helpfull advice. Overhauled several JD engines but this is the first Detroit setting the valves and fuel rack

The tool you need is easy to make. I still have a bunch around that used to cost $5 each. I'm sure a lot more now. You just need to know which inch-size tool you need. It usually goes by the injector/pump numbers on the engine. I don't recall off-hand which one the 2-53 uses in the Deere. It might be this one - and it has a 1.460" depth. That is why it's marked 1.460 on one side and the J-1853 part # on the other. I've got half a dozen in different depths. The bigger part of the two-step shank is approx. 1/8" diameter and the smaller part on the end around 1/16" OD.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.