Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1929 D would run

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I think it will run

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a929 D that I received in boxes,,ground valves checked clearances ,replaced rings. valve timing is set by the flywheel method " L hand ex valve opens," this is within 1" of mark on trans case, magneto is properly timed. engine will not start ,just backfires back thru the carb. I have checked the keyways on crankshaft and camshaft they are ok, have checked the valve timing several times always comes within 1" the valve guides are worn, but everything else is within tolerances, have air pressure checked valves to see if they are seating, test ok can anyone think of anything Iam missing.I checked part numbers for crankshaft, rods,pistons, camshaft camgear,crankgear, pushrods and cam followers every thing seems correct for this trsactor..It seems soething is out of time. Help

greenmech
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you set the mag so it fires right at top dead center? If not it may be advanced or retarded to much.Ron Mn.

Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which mag do you have??

jeo46

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you getting spark at TDC of of left hand cylinder compression stroke?If not, magneto may be 180 degrees out of time-remove magneto and turn it 180 degrees and try to start the tractor.
Mag should throw 5/16-3/8" spark to ground and make a sound when slow speed release is working.

mjbrown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try reversing the plug wires on the mag. I had them backwards once and it did what you described. May not be it but it is easy to try.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

^^^^ x2

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think it is 180 out of time.

I think it will run

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the help so far, the engine is timed to impulse #1 compression retard spark on flywheel, wires are in correct position, mag is aero and has just been overhauled, will give fire of 3/8" on impulse, how is best way to accurately determine TDC using the marks on side of trans leaves a little room for error.please advise when setting valve timing ,should the #1 exhaust valve be set to .030 rocker clearance or zero clearance. Thanks

skip33652
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First make sure tdc is tdc . If the flywheel is on wrong it aint gonna run. Second the spark lever needs to be about half advanced and the points then need to open at tdc . I have seen the impulse key get pushed out on assembly and everything was out of time. Then double check to make sure you have fire on tdc compression on both cylinders as the aero mag does not fire on tdc every time only on commpression. if it has fuel compression and spark at the right time it will run.Paul

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 D would run Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The valve clearance is in the manual, something like tighten until no clearance and back off a half turn.

I would double triple check that you have the mag firing on #1 and then #2 correctly. The old mags Splitdorf and Aero fire for two clicks then provide no spark for two clicks. #1....#2....nothing....nothing.....#1.....#2.

If you have it firing the #2 click on #1 cylinder and then nothing for #2 it would be hard to make it run. I did it once but caught myself before I got too far. Also, be sure you have the mag timing lever in the right spot, I BELIEVE it should be all the way back when setting start timing. My memory is fuzzy, been a while since I did the timing on the '28.

Brandon

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.