Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 bottom and tractor traction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahmi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: 2 bottom and tractor traction Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the Oliver 3242 2 bottom and have not used it yet. I have the Oliver 550, I know it has enough power to pull it, but will traction increase while using a 3 pt moldboard plow due to the downward pressure effect of the plow.

thanks to all

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 bottom and tractor traction Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might need a wheel weight, What are your soil conditions? Make sure you have it set so the draft control can function.

rankrank1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2 bottom and tractor traction Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the model number of plough that you listed, but in general a 3 point mounted plow will increase traction to the back of the tractor as compared to a tow type plow.

That was the brilliance of the Ferguson 3-pt system. Typically a tractor will need to weigh in the neighborhood of 5000 lbs to pull a traditional 2 bottom tow type plough. The 3 pt system allows a tractor that only weighs 2500 lbs to pull the same size 3-pt mounted plow. That was a big deal during WWII when steel was rationed and in short supply due to the war. In comparison 2 tractors could be built with same amount of steel to help feed the world instead of only 1 tractor. Of course later we found out the 3-pt was useful for other things too (blades, boxblades, scoops, post hole diggers, etc.)

I have no idea how your 550 will due on a tow type plough.

bahmi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2 bottom and tractor traction Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My soil is a medium textured sandy loam. It is not a heavy clay or a loose, coarse sand.

A friend pulled a big 2 bottom with his 2150 Deere diesel no problem and that"s 45HP.

If the 3 pt puts downward pressure on the rear wheels, seems like I should be able to chug along OK.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.