Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9n front mount will not start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby Lucas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys my 9n front mount will not start i am getting spark down to the top of my coil and points are firing i hooked up a test light inline with the wire on top of the coil and turned it over but it is not firing thru the rotor or distributor cap one i dont understand something i read in the posts i was reading on a 9n not starting and it said something about a incorrect positioning of the spring clip on the plate i dont understand where the spring clip is my itfo4 manual is in a storage bldg and it is clear in the front of it to much stuff in front of it to to get to it so i am begging for help on this thing i am pulling my hair out i cannot seem to get fire thru the distributor please advise about the spring clip if you would thank you very much might help to save what hair i have left lol and that isnt much

Bobby Lucas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It also has continuity all thru the dist in here on the kitchen table and no grounding anywhere that i can find when the points are open it does not ground anywhere to ghe housing or anywhere could the condensor be bad i have a new dist cap for it and a new rotor but the rotor is too tight to get on so i did not use it please advise thank you

Bobby Lucas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i also changed the ignition switch it has been wired to a altenator with one wire if that will help 12 volt . I got it started once and it ran for about 5 minutes then popped back fired then died and it broke the points i had in it so i got a good set of new points but it still wont fire thru the dist so am at a loss so please help thank you

Harvey2
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one that I put all new stuff in it, coil, points, condensor etc.
On the bench it had good spark, but when I put it on the tractor nothing.
I found out that when it was being installed on the tractor the coil wire was pinched and grounding out.

Bobby Lucas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey thanks Harvey i will check it also i think i found it while ago tho i put in new points a while ago and the the new ones i had in it it did not have continuity when they were closed my meter didnt show any continuity i just buught them yesterday from an oriellys store but they were no good they wouldnt close even just touching on on the little bitty corner of the point face so i got another set in the mail today and got the new rotor on finally and the new dist cap and i have continuity now when they close i will see what it wiil do when i put the distributor back on the tractor i am getting good at taking this thing off and putting it back i have had it off about 13 or 14 times so we will see and thank you for answering my post you have a great day and i will let you know what i find out if i got it or not i found the clip they were talking about it dumb me it is the clip that holds the distrubitor plate in duh lol i am dumb as a rock sometimes and thanks again

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bobby Lucas wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:44:49 09/12/13) Hey thanks Harvey i will check it also i think i found it while ago tho i put in new points a while ago and the the new ones i had in it it did not have continuity when they were closed my meter didnt show any continuity i just buught them yesterday from an oriellys store but they were no good they wouldnt close even just touching on on the little bitty corner of the point face so i got another set in the mail today and got the new rotor on finally and the new dist cap and i have continuity now when they close i will see what it wiil do when i put the distributor back on the tractor i am getting good at taking this thing off and putting it back i have had it off about 13 or 14 times so we will see and thank you for answering my post you have a great day and i will let you know what i find out if i got it or not i found the clip they were talking about it dumb me it is the clip that holds the distrubitor plate in duh lol i am dumb as a rock sometimes and thanks again

Bobby I can't help with the distributor problem but check your keyboard - I think your period key is broken Laughing

TOH

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:04:21 09/12/13)
Bobby Lucas wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:44:49 09/12/13) Hey thanks Harvey i will check it also i think i found it while ago tho i put in new points a while ago and the the new ones i had in it it did not have continuity when they were closed my meter didnt show any continuity i just buught them yesterday from an oriellys store but they were no good they wouldnt close even just touching on on the little bitty corner of the point face so i got another set in the mail today and got the new rotor on finally and the new dist cap and i have continuity now when they close i will see what it wiil do when i put the distributor back on the tractor i am getting good at taking this thing off and putting it back i have had it off about 13 or 14 times so we will see and thank you for answering my post you have a great day and i will let you know what i find out if i got it or not i found the clip they were talking about it dumb me it is the clip that holds the distrubitor plate in duh lol i am dumb as a rock sometimes and thanks again

Bobby I can't help with the distributor problem but check your keyboard - I think your period key is broken Laughing

TOH
cuts down on Midol costs. Wink

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:09:47 09/12/13)
TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:04:21 09/12/13)

TOH

cuts down on Midol costs. Wink

The Midol budget in this household has been zero for quite some time Rolling Eyes

TOH

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

post back and let us know!

Bobby Lucas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well here is a rundown on what i tried this afternoon i put on a new distrubitor cap and a new rotor i got continuity all thru the distributor on the table inside the house so went and put it on the tractor and no fire again the points i had in it wasnt making contact good so no continuity sometimes when points closed so i put on a new set i got in the mail today to no avail i have worked on this thing all summer cleaning and painting it and now it wont start lol now that sucks i have pulled all my hair out i dont have much up there anymore lol so i found the clip they were talking about holding the plate in it is in the right position and it is not grounding out anywhere i am about the end of my rope but i wont give up on it until i get it so thanks for any suggestions offered thank you

Bobby Lucas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry about that i get in a hurry sometimes and i forget to end a sentence, i tell ya this tractor has got me nuts. Thanks again

Bobby Lucas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n front mount will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep thi9 midol thing has been bad here a long time lol you guys are okay sorry for the mistakes so bear with me if ya will and i will get there with your help. See i have got a period button lol.
Thank you guys

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.