Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

late A MW pistons in mid A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rb54
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wanted to know if late A 584000 & up M&W pistons
will work in my mid A 583999 & dn. I was told this would work and that the piston is a 1/2 inch
tall and that this would only cause it to be hard
to hand start. This part doesn"t bother me because the tractor is electric start and it had hollingsworth inserts with all-fuel pistons and it was very hard to turn over with that set up because of the compression anyway. Any helps apreciated

730-LP
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YES

rb54
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you

rb54
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you again and now that i know that these pistons will work anybody know what the compression would be. I have a stock head all rebuilt with the minimum surfacing done and stock stroke. Will this be a good combination and if it is what should my mag timing be and do I need to get the carb rejetted. I do live in New Mexico at 6000 ft elevation. The tractor will be mostly used to pull hay wagons for harvest festivals and some mild work. I ask because I had a set these pistons given to me.

John Deere G Man
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Run 87 pump gas and you will be fine. As for the mag, same as before or advance it a little . Gonna have to hear it run, then play it by ear IMO. 7.5 to 1 comp guessing . I have the same setup but I stroked it to 7.5 and run 94 . No problems at all

jd50 puller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a set in our 47 A then realized it was blocking half the spark plug hole and you can actually see the compression ring just at the edge of hole. We changed them out for the correct style but they were hard to find. I believe the compression was somewhere around 130-140 psi. Tractor ran good but it lacked a little of the bottom end. Still pulled good from 4500-6500.

Gary41a
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a set of AP127 late A M&W pistons in a 41A. I notched the pistons where they plug the spark plug holes so the spark can reach the top OK. The tractor has been together for 3 years with no problems, except it is a hand crank and turns really hard!
I use it for pulling and under load burn avgas from the airport.
Good Luck
Gary

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At 6,000 Ft Alt, you will NEED that 7.5:1 Comp..

That about equals the old "High Altitude" Pistons..

Ron.

toot
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you interested in selling the inserts?

rb54
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: late A MW pistons in mid A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the inserts are for a standard bore

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.